Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Curious...can you stunt a convict?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lynliss Almasy
Username: ravenlock

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 08:21 pm:       

I've had my extremely aggressive female con for almost a year now in a 29g by herself. I don't think water quality has ever been an issue. I'm curious though, as she is still only 3 inches.
I thought female cons got to be 4-5 inches? Is she just a slow grower or maybe she's just small? She sure is pretty now though with her stripes and that lovely orange belly!

She was just moved into a 20g by herself as I thought it was kind of a waste to have only one 3 inch fish in a 29g. The 20g was fully cycled with other fish that I moved into the 29g.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6621
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 06:51 am:       

you can stunt any fish but i doubt yours is. in addition to environmment, there's genetics, food, other fish in the tank and more .. all involved in how large a fish will grow.

most importantly here is probably the fact that the fish is only a year old. mature size won't be reached for another 6 months to a year.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 07:59 am:       

I feed her Hikari cichlid pellets, brine shrimp, blood worms and Hikari tropical flakes. I thought they were adults at 1 year I guess I was thinking of another fish. Her parents were really large at the store, that's why I was wondering.

Guess I'll just wait and see. Hopefully she gets a little bigger. She's my fav fish. Thanks Dan.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6624
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:59 am:       

I thought they were adults at 1 year "adult" and maximum size are different. note, i'm not saying your convict will grow larger .. some do, others don't.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 09:30 pm:       

Gotcha! Thanks. :-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Curious...can you stunt a convict?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration