Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Eartheaters! Rock Gobblers!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Dan
Username: jacksandoscars

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:32 pm:       

Hey guys,
As stated in my other post about cichlids I've been looking into the geophagus and gymnogeophagus families and am really interested by them! I have an 80g tank on my to buy/wishlist and was thinking of adding one of these guys to the mix. He will share the bottom with a 6-8" pleco, but will otherwise have free roam of it. Do you know many of this species that do not grow past 8" ? So far I have seen some such as Geophagus camopiensis and a gymnogeophagus balzanii that have caught my eye. I have absolutly no experience and limited research about this fish, any help?
20g Tank - 1 dwarf gourami, 2 pearl gourami, 2 honey gourami, 4 corydoras, 1 small pleco, 1 spotted rafael catfish
10g tank - 3 male and 6 female guppies, 2 corydoras, 1 betta
*80g tank - coming soon! (Cichlids this time!)

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6629
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 05:30 am:       

i have a group of balzani in one of my 75's and recommend them highly. note though, this this species REQUIRES a period of cold water during the year or they will slowly fade away. i keep their tank absent of a heater and allow the water temperature to fall to 65 (room temperature) in the winter.

this species, as with most geos and gymno's are best kept in groups of 4-6 .. otherwise your males may never develop that terrific buffalo hump look.

balzani also seem prone to HITH if kept in hard, alkaline water and do best in moderate conditions with a 'slight' salinity.

i wouldn't recommend a pleco for an 'earth eater' tank. as you know, these species feed by sifting the substrate and it's important for there to be some tidbits in there for them to eat. a pleco is too much competition.

earth eaters are best kept over a sand or quite small gravel substrate (no pea gravel) to facilitate sifting.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v691/liv2padl/th_balzani.jpg

(Message edited by cindym on March 04, 2006)
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8246
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 08:13 am:       

a group of "gentle" geophagus you might want to consider is not really a geophagus species at all. Rather, they have been reclassified to a genus of their own, The fish stores still, however, label the fish a geophagus.

Satanoperca Leucosticta. Or, in the lfs, Geophagus jurupari. ther is a problem here that can cause you to end up with a different fish than i am thinking you would like. there is also a Satanoperca jurupari. a bit more aggressive (but not very on the cichlid scale of aggressiveness).

The Satanoperca Leucosticta has wonderful markings/spangling on the gill plates and many "pearl" colored scales on the body. The body color and gill plate markings vary by the geographic area that the specimen originally comes from. I like the Brazil version best. but others like other varieties. the Rio negro and Momon river specimens are an appealing shade of green--just not as impressive as the heavy coppery green with gold like spangiling on the species i like (i have jurupari of the momon variety--still very attractive). 5 of them in a 75 with substrate like dan described. they are tropical fish (not neo-tropical) so the heat can stay on year round.

If you can find them (and if you do let me know i will buy 6-12 of them) i particularly enjoy the gymnogeophagus gymnogenys -- brazil (my avatar fish). just spectacular color. very amiable tank mates with most other species of fish (geophagines are an exception).
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Dan
Username: jacksandoscars

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:54 pm:       

Wow, the Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys seem really cool... I'd heard of the jurupari before and they seem really cool too.
20g Tank - 1 dwarf gourami, 2 pearl gourami, 2 honey gourami, 4 corydoras, 1 small pleco, 1 spotted rafael catfish
10g tank - 3 male and 6 female guppies, 2 corydoras, 1 betta
*80g tank - coming soon! (Cichlids this time!)

sully
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8250
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 09:20 am:       

check out dan's version of the gymno--same family after all--and the colors are different, but still awfully nice. and the neo-tropical thing is sort of nice too.

oh, his are one heck of a lot easier to track down as well. you might spend years (wonder how I know that) trying to track down my idea of a cool fish.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

sully
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8267
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 11:16 am:       

www.tangledupincichlids.com Jeff has some of the Satanoperca Leucostictas I mentioned right now. And, they are from a region that will give you very colorful, striking specimens. A bit pricey--but his fish are worth it.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Eartheaters! Rock Gobblers!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration