Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Convict mom's in the dog house       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 10:03 pm:       

I have a pair of convict's have had them for almost a year now and everything seam to have been good so far.

They have had 3 batchs of fry so far but this last batch is a little different...

The father is the only one looking after the fry. The first few days it was mom and dad both protecting the fry from the 4 poor dainos that live in there tank. but now only the male is looking after the fry and the female is hideing under a rock in a little cave all the time. If she comes out for food or anything the male chases her back in right away. The fry are about 10 days old I didn't plan on moving them for about another month but now I am worryed. I want to keep these fry since they are food for some of my other fish Plus some are going to a friend. If the male eats this batch or something its going to mess up my little system I got going here.

Think I should move the fry out soon? and any idea why this time the mom isn't allowe around the babys?

Crazy little fish :P
I need more tanks...

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9442
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 10:11 pm:       

It happens. I had a male once that killed the female every time, after about 2 weeks of free swim and the fry got large enough to recognize, then raised them the rest of the way himself.

If you're not hurting for tank space, why not put an egg crate (http://www.astechplastics.ca/images/egg_crate.jpg) divider in so the fry can move back and forth between both parents and they both get to "share custody." It may preserve the pair bond enough to get more spawns later, and save her life.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Plazma
Username: plazma

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 01:28 am:       

I just recently picked up a tank that have a breeding pair of convict or they were breeding,i'm seeing the same thing the poor female is constantly hiding under the rocks she comes out and does eat,she comes and eats from my hand safely while the male wont do this hes to timid i keep hoping they might get along or perhaps breed we;ll have to see but i like her and am hoping i can see her more often

Russell

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 03:35 pm:       

Atleast your female can come out in eat...

I think I am going to try taking the female out of the tank and put her in a spare 10gal I got. Maybe leave here in there untill this batch of fry is ready to be moved.

:-)
I need more tanks...

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5531
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:19 pm:       

Russell, my Red Points do something similar, and I think Dad has the right idea in my tank.

I've had these guys for almost a year and a half. They spawn about monthly. Both parents do a fabulous job of getting them to wriggler stage.

However, the only time I've had fry survive is when Dad kicks Mom out of the equation. Mom goes into hiding and only shows her face at feeding time. And then, she's on the opposite side of the 55g as Dad and the fry.

He did this again for the last spawn, however, he allowed her back with the brood two days later.....and the babies disappeared I can't figure out why this happens, but I'm to the point where I think I should remove Mom once they get to wriggler stage and just let Dad do all the work???

That probably doesn't help much, just thought I'd share my experience, too :-)
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

Russell

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 04:06 pm:       

i wish I would had read this earlyer :-(
I move the dad out of the tank a few days ago figure he was the aggresser and also he was easyer to catch since the female was under a rock thats part of a cave.

Well i moved the male to another tank and now there is no fry left. the Mom ate them all :-(

Poor oscars got to wait another month or so before they get any baby convict fry now ;(
I need more tanks...
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Convict mom's in the dog house       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration