Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * New tank, new fish       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Mike DiFilippo
Username: fishyman

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 07:03 pm:       

okay, i'm going to be getting a 55G soon. i'm gonna go with a cichlid tank (african to be specific). SO far i really like electric yellow and cobalt blue zebra cichlids. can you guys tell me what other cichlids would go well? I'm kind of annoyed because my LFS doesn't really label the tanks well where the cichlids are :-(, and most online stores shipping is min of 25$.
20G-1dwarf gourami (soon 2), 2 swordtails, 2 corys, 2 shrimp, 4 danios, 6 neons| 10G-6Black neons, 2 white clouds (more coming)

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6651
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:26 am:       

mike, African Mbuna (the species you're interested in) need to be kept in sex ratios of 1 male + 4 females of the same species. why? these are polygamous mouth brooders and such a ratio will mitigate the VERY aggressive nature of males towards females during spawning ... something males are constantly looking to achieve.

this ratio dictatates that you'll have 5 members of a 'group' of one species ... so if you have two groups in your tank, you'll have ten fish and in my opinion, your 55 gallon tank will be full.

so ... what other cichlids would go well? none, due to tank size limitations.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Mike DiFilippo

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:47 am:       

what if i only went with female?
20G-1dwarf gourami (soon 2), 2 swordtails, 2 corys, 2 shrimp, 4 danios, 6 neons| 10G-6Black neons, 2 white clouds (more coming)

dan

Post Number: 6653
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:38 pm:       

you 'could' go only female or for that matter, only male .. but then you'll miss some of the best parts of keeping cichlids: none of the fish will display their best color and you won't see the normal interraction of these polygamous species.

Mike DiFilippo

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 02:25 pm:       

so either i go all one sex and loose some of the aspects or... just go with one species? are there any species of cichlids that would do gwell ina 55G that dont need to be stocked at such high rates?

dan

Post Number: 6654
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 02:37 pm:       

you can go with 2 species groups of 5 as i said above. so if you have two groups in your tank, you'll have ten fish

if you want African Mbuna you must use the sex ratio i described above. if you decide on Central American cichlids, you're not limited to the stocking ratios above but rather, can in some cases, stock in pairs of a few different groups.

bear in mind though, that cichlids in general are territorial and can be feisty when spawning. a 55 gallon tank is not huge and cannot hold a great many cichlids .. there's just not enough territory. some good/easy cichlids for your tank could include:

Cryptoheros nanoluteus - http://tangledupincichlids.com/images/nanol.fem.jpg

Cryptoheros sajica - http://tangledupincichlids.com/images/sajica.pair.jpg

Cryptoheros septemfasciatus - http://tangledupincichlids.com/images/septem.male.jpg

Thorichthys sp. 'Mixteco blue' - http://tangledupincichlids.com/images/bluemixteco.jpg

Mike DiFilippo

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 02:43 pm:       

i'm pretty sure my lfs doesn't have the blue zebra, so (just so i can figure out what i like) what else would go well with 5 electric yellow cichlids. Sorry for all the questions but i just wanna do whats best for these fish

dan

Post Number: 6655
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 03:41 pm:       

you'd be better off telling me what your LFS does have and i can tell you if it'll be o.k. there's little point in my naming a bunch of fish they don't have.

Mike DiFilippo

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 03:52 pm:       

i know that dan, and i dont mean to waste your time but truthfully i may be impossible to find out what they dont have, this way if i have a bunch of names i can call in and find out.

dan

Post Number: 6657
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 04:45 pm:       

ok try these ... Copidochromis azuris, any of the Metriaclima or Maylandia (your LFS may know them by the outdated name Pseudotropheus). these species will do well with a ph of 7.7-8.6 and a hardness in the 160-280 ppm range.

you would also do well with a group of Julidochromis such as marlieri, dickfeldi or regani. if you decide on these groups, you'll need to insure that your water has a ph of 8.5 or so and a hardness of 240-320 ppm.

all of the Juli's but regani are smaller than the Labidochromis or Pseudotropheus species and thus, you'll be able to install more of them .. as many as 8.

Mike DiFilippo

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 10:07 pm:       

dan, you are the MAN! thank you soo much i'll let you know what happens
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * New tank, new fish       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration