Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * New world tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Anthony Vrolyk
Username: bigant

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 08:18 am:       

I currently have a 55 gallon tank. I have 2-3 inch black belts, 2-2 inch green terrors (or gold saum, not sure yet), 2-2 inch fire mouths, and about a 4 inch common pleco. They seem to get along just great, they have been together for about 4 months now. Was just wondering how soon I should get a bigger tank, and what the minimum size should be. By the way, I also want to get a few fire eels in there with them if it is not pushing it.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6669

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:34 am:       

(Theraps) maculicauda is one of the more aggressive of the Central American cichlids. two of them in the same tank will very likely develop a significant animosity towards each other and if both males, you'll definitely end up with only one. this species grows to a foot. two of them need 120 gallons.

Aequidens rivulatus grows to about 8 inches and 'can' be quite aggressive though not nearly as rough as the belts. this fish is likely to have problems living with a couple of black belts.

firemouth cichlids are significantly less aggressive than either of the above species and if things get rough in your tank, these will be at the losing end of things.

i would not suggest keeping two black belts and two green terrors in any tank of less than 200 gallons. smaller and you'll only bring out the worst in these fish. even at that, you 'may' have problems ... only time will tell.

good luck.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Anthony Vrolyk

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:56 am:       

The belts seem to be 1 male 1 female. At least they don't fight and appear to do the "spawning dance" with each other. Any clue on how to tell sexes?

I tend to have anomolies, my terrors are docile and my fire mouths seem to run the tank.

So, I should be looking NOW for a new tank then huh? If I got one for the belts would the terrors and fire mouths be good in the 55?

dan

Post Number: 6670

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:30 pm:       

i gather that your fish are juveniles? it's impossible to sex belts that have not reached sexual maturity. alternatively, you can try "venting" them ... there are two openings in front of the anal fin in all fish; one is the vent, one is the anus. the vent, often called the ovipositor in females, is the opening from which eggs or sperm are shed.

Both males and female have genital papillae which are different shapes in males and females - in general, males have pointed genital papillae, to facilitate the deposition of sperm over the eggs, and the female ovipositors are broad and flattened to facilitate egg laying.

naturally there are species specific variations to this rule and you need to look at a lot of fish to become 'conversant' in the "art".

the 'spawning dance' you are observing may well be a "who's the dominant fish here" dance done by two males or even two females.

if it's spawning you're interested in, let me suggest that you need to start with 5-6 of them and let them form a pair on their own. trying to force a pair can result in mayhem.

Elizabeth Buteau
Username: barlis

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:08 pm:       

what is the scientific name for Belts? I never heard of them and would like to see their picture..thanks

dan

Post Number: 6672

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:55 pm:       

Vieja maculicauda ... pic from Cichlid Room Companion

http://www.cichlidae.info/gallery/Vieja/logo.jpg

(Message edited by dan on March 14, 2006)

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5570

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:12 pm:       

Dan, your link gives me this message?

"Remote Linking Disabled"
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

dan

Post Number: 6675

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:03 pm:       

hmmmm, i get a pic. try going directly to the website. http://www.cichlidae.info/gallery.php?genus=Vieja

Anthony Vrolyk

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 09:17 am:       

OK. So how about the green terrors and fire mouths? Would they be good in the 55 gallon if I got a new tank for the black belts?

I am not too familiar with black belt behavior, but what they do is get next to each other and slant their dorsal fins toward each other (like /\) and, for lack of better word, "quiver".

dan

Post Number: 6677

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 01:37 pm:       

two green terrors and two firemouth cichlids would work in a 55 providing you do not end up with "pairs". since spawning territory will be of prime concern and there's not alot to go around, you'll have to watch the behaviour of the fish closely and remove any that are getting thrashed.

Anthony Vrolyk

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 12:32 am:       

I was trying to upload a few pictures of my fish, but I kept getting an error message. Thank you for your help dan. Do you know of a sight where I can get more info on black belt behavior?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9597

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 07:08 am:       

Your pics need to be under 640 X 480 pixels in dimensions, and the file size must be under 40KB. If you don't have software already to do that, this is a free download: http://www.irfanview.com/

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Anthony Vrolyk

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:48 am:       

black belt

Anthony Vrolyk

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:51 am:       

green terrorfire mouth

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 06:13 pm:       

Anthony,
Sweet pictures. I really like the 2nd pic from the last one, with the green terror up front and the firemouth in the back. A huge tank and I dont see why all of em wont get along. I met a guy in line at the fish store with somewhat similar tank mates. I would love a tank like this. It would, like already said, have to be huge!

Ohh BTW.. ceramic castles and cichlids like that dont go good together. I have a scratch on the inside back glass of my 90 gallon.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Anthony

Post Number: 24

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 05:11 am:       

Thank you, my first tank pictures. I liked the green terror pic so much I cropped it and put it under my name. I was starting to rethink the decor after one of the black belts knocked over a ceramic rock formation, but my pleco and fire eel love the castle so much. Plenty of other places for them, but they hang out in there. Here is the whole tank.
Yours is not to question why, mine is to buy fish and die.

Anthony

Post Number: 25

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 05:14 am:       

Still looking for a background I really like. Also thinking about some more plants.
Yours is not to question why, mine is to buy fish and die.

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 01:37 pm:       

That looks really awesome. My oscar thrashed my castle into pieces, the sharp busted up bottom base of the castle he still kept attacking and led to the scratch. It was in the middle of the night. I would assume the green terror would do the same. They get nuts! I settled for a plastic castle and later moved onto plastic roots and "real-fake" natural decor. I will probably evolve into live plants and driftwood.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * New world tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration