Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Discus Dominance Behavior       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 173

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 10:56 am:       

First a little background.
I got a group of 4 discus. All was fine the first week but then I noticed that one discus ( lets call it #4) was getting beat on. The poor thing was not allowed to come out of a corner to eat and if food drifted into that corner some other one would charge in and drive #4 away. After days of this I could not take it any more and moved #4 to my hospital tank where I could feed it up and so it could recover.

#4 is still in the hospital tank because he/she/it will only eat live brine but that is another issue.

Moving on
I bought another Discus at an auction (#5) this weekend and after seeing that he was going okay in a new tank that I am working on ( not with the other 3 ), I thought I would put #5 in the tank with #4. I was thinking that as they were about the same size they might get along together and #5 might induce #4 to eat flake and pellet food.

What followed was quite enlightening about Discus behavior
They would stare each other down and sort of drift into each others personal space. Then they
would try to line up a slap with their body and tail. they would approach one-another head pointing up (I'm stronger/dominant) and the other one might copy that or point head down (submissive). the Dominant one would then try to bite the other in the head. The other dominance behavior I saw was the dominant one would push the other up to the surface.

I separated them again. I'll put them together again and see if I can get pictures of that.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1712

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:30 pm:       

Discus do keep a pretty strict peking order. Most fish do. You can see the behaviour in almost everything from neons to discus, which often causes problems when trying to introduce new fish on an already claimed territory, even if the new fish is bigger and tougher. Temperments also play a big role in it. You can have fish that are passive or reclusive, or bold and obnoxious.

I enjoy watching that behaviour in my apisto tanks, but at a point, some fish decide that being dominant simply isn`t enough and decide it`s time for others to move on. At that point, it`s best to remove them.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 02:00 pm:       

Pecking order....yep.
Discus will do it for the first YEAR! Not days or months. Like Brad said if it gets too ugly you will have to intervene.

Oh boy, loook what I have to look forward to.!!
Hopefully my larger Discus are established mates. They schooled together this morning and there were no outcasts. My younger Red Turqs are a different story tho.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Randy

Post Number: 196

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 01:18 pm:       

Well I put #4 and #5 together in my 29g. #4 is bulling #5 but with no damage. They survivedthe night now and seem to be developing an understanding. Pictures coming soon.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6711

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:49 am:       

discus will always establish a dominance order and thus, pairs don't generally do well in the aquarium. one will be the dominant fish and harrass the other unmercifully.

it's always best to maintain discus in groups of 5-6 since doing so disallows the establishment of a single dominant fish or if one is formed, it will not be able to focus on any single fish with regard to harrassment.

as they grow larger, this behaviour decreases to the point where even pairs can be maintained .. provided they have formed that pair on their own within a group. you can then safely remove the unpaired singles.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

flyingfish

Post Number: 321
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 01:38 pm:       

I have some issues. Nothing major. With the smaller Discus there is a tough Red Turq #1. He isnt the most colorful but most aggressive. He bosses everyone around near the food. There is one that is the most colorful #2 and he seems to stand up to the bossy guy#1 with his colors alone. He just seems to hover and display his awesome colors and the other#1 backs down with nothing physical happening. Kinda weird.

The larger Discus are finding their own homes. There is also a food area boss too, maybe more then one. I try to make a few seperate food areas. They all share the tank when it is not feeding time.

I am really new to Discus and yes they are my first but honestly I couldnt see them being extremely hard on each other to the point where I would have to seperate them. I have noticed that they indeed are Cichlids and arent as docile as I expected but they arent ferocious either. I also havent seen them pair up or mate soooo....I guess I will see.

Purchase in groups of six at the minimum. I couldnt imagine having one or two. I would have purchased more Brilliant Blue but there werent any more available.

Randy, I forget how many Discus do you have? What size tank? What strains? Maybe you could show me the post again. I forget Im sorry.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Randy

Post Number: 202

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:20 am:       

Hi,
Thanks Dan, you comments seem very true and compare with my observations.

I have moved the 2 fish in with the others and will try to wait out their squables.

ff:
I now have 5 Discus. The latest I bought at an auction Red Turquoise. The first 4 were not labeled. So lets have a look!

flyingfish

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:35 pm:       

Is that two pics of the same fish? Looks very healthy!! Awesome!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Randy

Post Number: 203

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 02:04 pm:       

I'm not sure if that is the same fish. Two of the first 4 I got are much the same size and look. Thank you. They do look healthy, are growing nicely.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Discus Dominance Behavior       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration