Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Should I get my Blue Ram a buddy?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 388

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:19 am:       

Or will he be OK on his own in the tank? Does anyone have any experience with keeping just one? The one I have has been in there for a bit over a week now and he seems to be doing just fine. His coloring is exactly as it should be - absolutely beautiful. He's active, loves to show off for me at the glass, will occasionally play with the barbs and, more recently, the loaches. All this makes him seem fine to me, but I'll surely defer to others with better experience keeping them. Thanks for your input.

Oh yeah, in addition to the blue ram the tank contains (it's a 60 gallon):
6 'super red' rosy barbs
4 (soon to be 6) gold barbs
5 yo-yo loaches
1 paradise fish
and my rainbow shark will be moved into this tank in a day or so.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9652

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:34 am:       

Just had to say it sounds like a lovely tank...how about some pics?

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

John D

Post Number: 389

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:45 am:       

Thanks Cindy. There are some early pics of it over on the tropical fish gallery. I definitely need to take some new ones though.

John D

Post Number: 394

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:46 am:       

If I get a second, should I get a male or a female? I'd prefer a male, so I can avoid any mating aggression. In general, can 2 males be expected to get along?

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 352
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 01:22 pm:       

I think you answered the question yourself. I mean no disrespect, you have the answers already.
Males can get along provided they have enough space. Check out the other post on "Ram's". It resolved my thoughts.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

John D

Post Number: 402

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 09:26 am:       

Yeah, you're right. My problem is that I sometimes do too much research. Especially with a somewhat delicate fish like a blue ram, there's lots of 'problems' people have reported, and it starts making me nervous. I really need to learn that I should completely discount and disregard about 80+% of what I read online.

flyingfish

Post Number: 415
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 12:51 pm:       

Too much research is very similar to too much filtration......there is never too much

Not like any other fish doesnt deserve research but the Ram is a bit delicate and extra efforts need to be put forth to care for such a touchy little one. HEH...you and me both....
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

John D

Post Number: 413

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:38 pm:       

I agree that research is a good thing. The only problem, though, is that I've discovered that (what seems like) the vast majority of people either don't know how or just don't care to properly care for their fish. As such, they end up having all kinds of problems, and the problems are usually what get reported. Thankfully I've found this place, where I can get real answers from people who actually know their stuff!

Also, I admit that a bit of it is my own confidence level. I had tanks years ago that I never properly cared for. When I got back into the hobby, after a rough start, I vowed to not make those mistakes again. I'm still learning, and with more knowledge comes more confidence!

flyingfish

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:00 pm:       

It sounds like we are paddling in the same boat together.

Yah research can be a bit "flip flopish".... some say this some say that....when its not an exact science I guess there is no real right and wrong. Its good to read everything you can but at a certain point you cant learn more unless you experience it yourself. I had a tank for years it seemed as if it took care of itself. Then I move the tank and start up again and I am plagued. That lowered my confidence level alot, now its finally coming back. At least I would hope so I have a big investment in Discus.......
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Should I get my Blue Ram a buddy?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration