Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Angelfish Breeding in Community       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kevin M Giel
Username: pakevg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 01:13 am:       

I have a 35 gallon Freshwater Community tank setup. In it there are 2 Angelfish, One Spotted Pictus Catfish, 1 Pleco, 3 Bosemani Rainbowfish, and 1 Australian Rainbowfish.
The Angels have started breeding, and have layed eggs on the intake of my filter. They are now becoming aggressive towards the other tank inhabitants.
My question is- what all can I do aside from removing either the breeding pair to a seperate tank, or taking out all the others, and leaving the angels to their business? Im not really concerned about keeping the fry, because right now I really dont have anywhere to raise them, and I dont want to crowd up the tank anymore.

Here are some possible ideas:
Can I add more plants and rocks for the fish to hide in and among, so they are not constantly harrassed by the breeding couple?

The tank is around 80 degrees, should I lower the temp?

Should I act on these, or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you for whatever help you can give.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9716

Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 06:59 am:       

The fish will learn to stay on one half the tank each time they spawn. Odds are it is only for a few days at a time, the fry will be eaten when they go into free swim.

Otherwise you can either remove the eggs yourself each time they spawn or put in a tank divider for a few days each month.

to Badman's and

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Kevin M Giel
Username: pakevg

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 10:33 am:       

Cindy,
thank you so much for all of your help. I've had convicts in the past who were breeding (as everyone knows they will do) and they ended up killing a firemouth who just couldn't learn to stay away. I didn't want that to happen to any of my friends now.

thanks again,
Kevin
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Angelfish Breeding in Community       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration