Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Discus Update - 2 Months       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 236

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:47 am:       

Well I have had my Discus for 2 months now. #3 ( I give them number in order of dominants ) gave my a scare the other day. I think he was stressing himself out trying to dominate #4 and #5 by eating all the food to keep it from them. Well one morning he was swimming in place pointing slightly down for hours at a time with a big belly. If he could talk he might have said " I don't believe I eat the whole thing". He spent the day in the hospital and since his return to the main tank things are much calmer. He does not chase the others into the corner any more, just little nips to back them out of his claimed space.

I am now thinking about a bigger tank. May one of those Bow-front tanks.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 414
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 12:27 pm:       

Bow fronts I have seen are typically skinny. What size you looking to get? What size are they in now? How many Discus again? Sorry I lost your first update. I do remember it tho, it was spread across onto the temp board.

You did not purchase all of the Discus at once? Do you notice aggressiveness amongst the ones purchased at different times?

I have one Discus that likes to protect the food when it lands on the bottom. He gets his fill then others will move in. I had to sort of spread out the food because it may land in Apisto territories which Discus arent allowed in. Although lately i have been hand feeding them all at the top Most of them eat right out of the middle of the water column or at the top of the tank off my fingertips.

Hearing about a Discus chased into the corner makes me sad.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Randy

Post Number: 237

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 01:26 pm:       

Hi ff,
I have % Discus in a fourty. I know, it's too small. It will do for the next couple of months. I bought 4 Discus at once and one at an auction. like I said they are getting along much better now. I have seen all 5 at the front of the tank at once.

More on the tanks I'm looking at in a few - My client is having server problems.

Randy

Post Number: 238

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 03:28 pm:       

Back - Crisis resolved;

Oops I see a typo in my last message % should be a 5.

As for the Bow-front tank, I see that All Glass makes a 75 and 155 gallon. The 155 would do nicely.

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1792

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 04:26 pm:       

FF, don`t you have some too?

Well, all the discus talk from you guys has convinced me to to place a bid on a 70 gallon and a 110 gallon. we`ll see if I win one and get some discus!
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

flyingfish

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 07:19 pm:       

Yep
Its nice. Apistos and Discus for me . % in a 40 isnt bad for now Dont worry..I know what you meant Randy. I would go for 155. Brad 110 would be sweet. My 90 gallon is just enough for the larger discus I have. I could have more but its the smallest space I would keep them in. I plan on moving the red turqs there later.

Flyers 1 Leafs 0
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Randy

Post Number: 242

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 08:16 pm:       

Hey ff;
What is the ...

Flyers 1 Leafs 0

Reference?}

flyingfish

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:29 pm:       

dont ask.....
ACK! I was watching a hockey game. My home team ended up losing them game...I think the team was just as suprised as I am they lost. Totaly off-topic but they scored as I was posting
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1793

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:49 pm:       

Well someone else got both tanks, but the owner of the 90 gallon contacted me saying she felt the auction was bogus and if the winner doesn`t claim it in a couple of days, it`s all mine. Fingers are crossed.

Montreal 2 New York 0
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

flyingfish

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 06:36 pm:       

Brad if your team wins I am happy. Until playoff time that is MUHUHAHAHAHA!!!! Seriously its good to see someone team win...haha....I just noticed the Habs put it to us this year....now that I am sitting back countinig point recalling the past schedule. If philly can play consistent like they did vs ottawa and carolina then we have a real chance this year. If they play like they did against the leafs then we can all call it quits right now. This type of incosistency is the reason I am not purchasing playoff tix for liek 150 a pop 1st round. OPPS sorry to drift the off-topic conversation here..

SOOOO RANDY......about those Discus? LOL. I love reading about them always keep posting. I think your problems with aggressiveness are because you have fewer then 6 I dont really have an issue.
Brad the 90 is awesome, lots of height for the bumbling Discus.

Does anyone else here keep Discus?
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Randy

Post Number: 253

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 08:45 pm:       

I think the agression problem is over for the most part. #1 and #2 are the masters, #3 has settled down, #4 hangs back and #5 hangs out with #1 and #2.

#3 the bully, no longer chases #4 and #5, now it is more like peck to drive the other away 6"

Hope that is not to criptic, I'm mostly asleep.

flyingfish

Post Number: 448
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 08:10 pm:       

Id prefer the numbers or names...at least some sort of consistency...its not to cryptic..just perfect....but...what happens when #5 becomes the bully tho?
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Randy

Post Number: 257

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 08:42 pm:       

#5 is the smallist and newist. He is doing very well now. When I bought him in an auction he was recovering from a beating or a fin rot. Now that he gets to eat regular his fins are almost fully grown back.

flyingfish

Post Number: 449
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 08:51 pm:       

Randy your one Discus almost looks brown. Were any of them wild? That brown one is probably going to turn up really awesome looking.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Randy

Post Number: 259

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 07:44 am:       

I'm quite sure that all are domestic raised. I don't know about brown, Colors and florencent light are not always the best. I did learn something new about me camara about color adjustment. I'll try to get some better pictures.

flyingfish

Post Number: 453
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 09:15 pm:       

Check out google images for brown Discus. They are really nice looking and the one shot you have looks like a brown and red turq. Brown are rather nice..be sure to see that champion brown photo on google..I am trying to decide on my next purchase..... green...brown...or something crazy like red dragons or scribelt. I already have cobalt blue diamonds mixed with my brilliants.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Randy

Post Number: 263

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:46 pm:       

Your right - they do look a lot like those browns
There are so many color variations you can't really say "I have this or that". It is more like your falls into this group or that one.

flyingfish

Post Number: 482
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:47 pm:       

Randy I am over an over-analytical freak with an eye for detail
I can tell you what you have and then you can say it. I have been looking at these fish for months. There are trademarked names for some strains so all people dont use the same name.

Didnt your fish have names from the store or breeder?
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Randy

Post Number: 264

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 09:00 am:       

I'm not so analytical about color and breeds right now - I would like to do some breeding though, then I'll have to get down to the nity-grity.

I went to the local fish store, actually almost all the local fish stores but that isn't the point. I looked at tanks. WOW! That 155-gallon bow-front tank would be awsome but I don't know or if I could the it down the basement stairs. I will probibly has to stick with a tank that is no longer than 48". the cost as so is out of this world $620 for the 155-gallon but only $120 for the 72-gallon bow-front.

flyingfish

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:22 pm:       

Breeding is a whole other story. I am pretty confident in both the source of my fish and their health...so confident I would keep the fry.

Personally Id rather have the 180 gallon.
I was at the lfs looking at the 155 bow front. The salesman said the bowfronts are like HDTVs compared to regular TVs.....explaining this to another gentleman purchasing a tank..... I sorta laughed to myself and handed my tape measure to the guy who was purchasing. I always like lurking around the lfs listening to what they say. It always seems like the lfs guys look around to see if anyone who knows what they are talking about hears them.

I never owned a bowfront...they doo look attractive...why else would they be like 30-40% more money? I just cant see buying a smaller tank for more money....I like my typical AGA tanks.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Discus Update - 2 Months       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration