Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Confused about male cons new attitude...       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lynliss Almasy
Username: ravenlock

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 02:22 pm:       

29g. Ammonia 0, nitIte 0, nitrAte 10, temp.80, ph 8.2. Occupants: 1 mated pair of convicts.

I upgraded my 2 cons from a 20g to a 29g 2 days ago. They are a mated pair and have already raised a spawn together.

I'm a little confused though. Since the upgrade he has been chasing and nipping her relentlessly. He has her trapped in a corner behind a plant(he can't fit behind it)or in her cave. They were perfectly fine in the 20g the day before I moved them. I have lots of caves and plants that she can get into but he can't, in an effort to try and protect her.

Is he trying to establish territory in this new tank? Is she not in the mood to breed and he is? Does he not recognize her? Neither of them have ever been in this tank, and the decor is different. They were added at the same time.

Is there anything else I can do for her? She seems safe in her "hidey holes" for now and she is eating. Thanks.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9854

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 04:27 pm:       

Those are all possible, and a bit more likely than a total "divorce" situation. Keep an eye on them for another day or two.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6774

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 05:23 pm:       

you 'may' have broken the pair bond by moving them but give them a few days to get accustomed to their new quarters.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 204
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 07:56 pm:       

Hopefully he'll learn to love her again. :-)
Thanks a lot.

Christine
Advanced Member
Username: christine

Post Number: 1120

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:40 am:       

My Convicts are the most dysfunctional couple you'll ever meet. Mostly its her aggressing against him over parental responsibilities (she wants them all). Other times, they divorce and each take their share of the kids to opposite sides of the tank. Then, literally one by one, dad kidnaps her half and then gets a restraining order against her. Soon, the kids have left home and he's yearning for another round, but she doesn't give in right away, she makes him work for it and then it starts all over again. I love my cons :-)

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 267

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:02 am:       

Hi Christine,
Love the little story, need pictures!

Lynliss, Good luke, hope your pair get re-married
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

Lynliss Almasy

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 03:30 pm:       

Well it took a week, but my babies have re-married. They are swimming together and displaying for each other, with no nippies.
Yippie! Thanks for the help gurus. :-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Confused about male cons new attitude...       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration