Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Convicts have bred       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Plazma
Username: plazma

Post Number: 107

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:52 pm:       

Well after several months of fighting imagine my surprise today when i look into my tank at feeding time and see a huge swarm of baby fry hiding in the cave in the dugout so to say where mom and dad moved the gravel.
I am going to say today is day one since i surely would have noticed free swimming fry.The questions i have is should i continue to leave the parents in the tank right now only them and a plec in the system?
i have a 10g all cycled with a couple fish in it right now i could move the parents or the babies into it?
This is the first batch i have had with these two and therefore i cannot guess as to how good of parents they are. Both Male and Female are guarding the clutch and they both came out to eat and then quickly back into the den
This tank is also in my front room i'm worried if activity will cause the parents to eat them?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8557

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 08:09 am:       

i always left convict fry in the tank. So many vanished that it was convenient. in a lot of places it is tough to get someone (or a store) to take the juveniles once they are big enough to think about selling them.

you will need to watch water quality and most likely need to significantly increase water changes.

Good luck with those. Let me know if you find a new and creative way to deal with the juveniles (trash dumpsters, use as feeders, and toilets do not count)
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 269

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:09 am:       

Congratulations!
Good Luck with you new roomies.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 902

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 07:32 pm:       

Id just leave them together its more interesting,only worth separating if you have a buyer.
Waiting will fill
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Convicts have bred       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration