Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Sexing Discus?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 281

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:23 am:       

Hi,
Does anyone know how to tell the sex of Discus. Besides acutally seeing one laying eggs.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:30 am:       

Randy,
Picture a straight line going down the back of the Dicus off the dorsal fin. If it hits the tail then its female. If it doesnt hit the tail then its male.

I think I have that right...I have the link at home...I will post it when I get access to it.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 283

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:46 am:       

Cool, Now all I have to do is to pin them down to a drafting table and draw lines on them. HaHa.

Thanks ff, for the test message. I must have been thinking of the other message board where private messages come to the user on the board not in email form like here. That is why I could not figure out how to check for messages ( I some times have momentary drops in IQ, So far these drops don't last long and I recover fully).
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

flyingfish

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:47 am:       

Here we go....
http://www.aquaworldnet.com/dbws/sexingdiscus.shtml

They have to be mature to see the points on the fins. And probably a bit mature to use this method as well. Mine are at 3 inches and I can start to see which is male and which is female using this line method. I am not 100% positive on it but....this isnt an exact science either.

This is the original link I was refering to
http://www.zestweb.com/articles/sexing/sexing.html

Using this method I have come to the conclusion that I have a nice mix of males and females....but...whos to say thats right or not.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8576

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:54 am:       

place a six pack of Bud and the sports section at one end of the tank. Place a "cute" pair of shoes and a little top at the other end.

The male discus should be the ones eyeing the Bud and checking out the sports page. You'll find the females at the other end looking at the shoes and the top.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

flyingfish

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:13 pm:       

Sully you never cease to amaze me with the comical posts AND such a wealth of knowledge at the same time!!! Usualy smart guys are BORING!!!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Robert Fishers
Username: fishguy1616

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 01:45 am:       

what about the ones in the middle of the tank that can't decide.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6799

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 08:49 am:       

what about the ones in the middle of the tank that can't decide they're probably lesbians.

the method for determining sex by the line drawn between dorsal and anal fin is VERY tricky. you'll be wrong as many times as you're right unless you've kept discus for a LONG time and are VERY familiar with the fin growth.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8604

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 02:06 pm:       

the post was meant to be a counter point. we all read a lot. probably more than we should. and as fishkeepers we seem to share a common form of OCD. not sure which strain--but definitely an OCD.

other than dan, cindy and russ i figure i read as much "heavy" stuff as anybody else. unfortunately there is a lot of really "light" stuff in between. Sort of like that link this morning in the GMA to that archive of articles.

Sometimes you just see stuff that is flat wrong. Other times you see stuff that is dead nuts on. but, as dan pointed out, unless you are very familiar and experienced, even with the dead nuts on stuff you are bound to make a wrong judgement call.

tempering that is the fact that much of the "heavy", dead nuts on stuff deals with fish in the wild. and, most of the fish we have are very far removed from there. body shapes, fin shapes, height to length relationships and a lot of other seemingly innocuous stuff has changed in the fish we keep versus the wild fish that the "scientific", empirical models were developed around and from.

Discus--they be tough to sex coming out of nature. It gets even harder with all the hybridization that has occurred over the years. We now have truly spectacular lines (much neater than the discus i kept so long ago). but if you compare many of those lines to wild discus you will see a startling difference in body shape and form. And it just goes downhill from there. integration of "learning" and "experience" is the only way to really get it narrowed down. even then people are wrong a fair percentage of the time.

I hope randy can figure it out. but, just might not happen. fool proof method is to see which one lays the eggs and which one successfully fertilizes them. then you know for sure what you got.

about those ones in the middle--either very confused, over bred, like dan said, or very light in the loafers.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

flyingfish

Post Number: 561

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 02:19 pm:       

Is it OCD or just caring too much?

I used this technique to guess which ones are male and female. The second link states what you said about the uncertainty. I am not betting on anyhting but its good to have somewhat of an idea what is in your tank or at LEAST think you do

I wouldnt use this method to predict pairs or anything like that...like they all say...Discus dont like prearranged marriages. But then again they all said they didnt like bright light either. LOL....
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9888

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 04:31 pm:       

one of my few smart aleck answers - that I reserve for members that I know will take it in the spirit it is intended - is the punchline to the first joke I remember hearing as a child.

Ask it a question. If he answers, it is a male, if she answers, it is a female.

Not as funny as Sully's and dan's answers, but it takes me back to a simpler time...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Sexing Discus?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration