Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Cichlid aggression species specific?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 603

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:17 pm:       

Ok, so I know my blue acara didn't like his(her) other acara buddy. They looked like the same sex to me, but I don't know if they are male or female. I'll just use "he" for now.
He killed the other blue acara, but ignores the boesmanis and yoyo loach ... all the smaller fish (gambusia/zebra danios) have not so mysteriously disappeared except for a couple of the gambusia I managed to catch and put in another tank.
Long question short...
If I add a cichlid of a different species (say a firemouth) would there be tension there or is it mostly with cichlids of the same species?
This is a 75 gallon tank. 6 rainbows, 1 yoyo(the last of 3), 1 rubber lip pleco.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8579

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:26 pm:       

ccihlids are a highly territorial family of fish. The highest level of aggression is typically toward con specifics. The next level of aggression usually migrates to body shape. then area of water column occupied. They protect their territory for feeding, breeding (even unmated), simple question of space to move and grow, and whatever other reason enters their pea brains.

To be honest, I would not mix cichlids into the tank you described. you have beautiful fish already. Fish from another part of the world than SA ciclids. Your tank will be healthiest if you keep it without the nasty devils.

If you really want SA and CA cichlids try setting up a tank just for them.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 605

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 07:55 pm:       

Thanks sully... I thought as much but I liked firemouths and severums- I was kinda hesitant to put them in a planted tank too I've ordered some plants and am going to try my hand at a decent aquascape.
Looks like i'll keep it as is the blue acara is getting more beautiful everyday and he can stay as long as he behaves- I don't have anywhere else to put him right now or else i'd have a fat acara and a couple other empty tanks-ha

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8590

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 09:15 pm:       

plants and severums--nice salad bar. plants and blue acaras--lol. it will be some fun as he ages.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Cichlid aggression species specific?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration