Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Albino Cichlid       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Robert Fishers
Username: fishguy1616

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 01:39 am:       

I have a cichlid that i bought today at the LFS. It was in a mixed african tank. I know buying them out of that type of tank is never a good idea, but with this guy i couldnt resist the temptation. It is definatly albino because it is all white with red eyes. it is less then 1 inch in length and is no thicker then my pinky finger. it is really really tiny. now i know that it is probably a crossbread fish and thats why it is in this tank at the store, however i wanted to know ... is there any way that i can find out what species it is.
I will post a photo as soon as i find that damn digital camera...... "MOM WHERES MY CAMERA!!!!!"

Jason Dawson
Username: inhaleicus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 03:19 am:       

In "mixed" or "assorted" African tanks they are usually Malawi species. Maybe one of these:

1) Pseudotropheus socolofi (extremely aggressive)
2) Metriaclima zebra (estherae?) (hit-or-miss)
3) Metriaclima greshakei (hit-or-miss)
4) "red-top cobalt," very similar to greshakei
5) Melanochromis auratus (psycho-killer)

A picture would be worth a thousand words. If it's a Lake Malawi species I can probably tell you if it's pure or crossed. I've gotten a couple of mutts with ONE albino parent, they are NOT albino offspring. You probably have a pure-breed or a close facimile thereof.
Does it show vertical "bars" on the body? A "pure" white fish with no bars is possibly a socolofi or "albino zebra" (non-greshakei, possible estherae). The greshakei has pinkish bars and the auratus has pink horizontal markings (plus a distinct shape).
Please post a pic ;-> Check my homepage (if you can do it here), the 75 gallon gallery has two of the species mentioned in albino. Also standard color variants of red-top, greshakei and auratus. A place to start in the ID'ing process... I'll help all I can, really want you to know what you have - I'm sorta OCD about that kinda thing ;-o

J

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9900

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 09:04 am:       

The only way Robert can "check your home page" is for you to post the URL, either in the body of your post or in your profile. You've done neither.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Albino Cichlid       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration