Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * How can i tell if my Green Terrors are dwafts?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Elizabeth
Username: lisbar

Post Number: 75

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:22 pm:       

Is there a possibility that my green terror pair are dwafts and sold in the fish store as Green Terrors? How fast do green terrors grow and what should i be looking for that would help me identify if they are dwafts..

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 613

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:26 pm:       

I thought the title was a typo....
Do you mean dwarf?
how long have you had your green terrors?
What size tank are they in, and with what other fish?
Have you looked at pictures of dwarf cichlids?
What makes you think they are not green terrors?
Since green terrors are usually cheaper and more common than dwarf cichlid species, I would doubt that they accidently sold them as such.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6814

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 06:44 am:       

there are no such thing as 'dwafts' nor are there any dwarfs of this species.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Elizabeth

Post Number: 76

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:03 am:       

Hi Thank you for the spelling lesson.. LOL.. My husbands keeps telling me he thinks they are dwarfs... because they have not grown much and they are in a 55 gal tank by them selves.. He also found it quite amazing that they were parents at 2 inches big. Then he read an article on dwarf Green Terrors.. and realized they do exist. And the dwarf article is in Tetra's Popular guide to Tropical Cichlids hard cover book..page 194 where they mention there may be several dwarf species of the rivulatus-complex that grow up to 13cm{5inches}..so of course that got us thinking it could be a possibility.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9925

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:18 am:       

Possibility, yes, but I found no scientific name for them when searching this morning. Did you find one in any of those sources?

I am a cautious person and it seems more likely they are stunted Aequidens rivulatus to me until they have been proven to be a separate species that breeds true and named accordingly.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

dan

Post Number: 6818

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:58 am:       

the green terror - Aequidens rivulatus, is often confused with the blue acara - Aequidens pulcher and that's the only reason i can think of for the acronym, "dwarf".

there may be cases of stunting of the true Aequidens rivulatus but there have been no scientifically valid 'new species' reports that i'm aware of ... and i read the scientific literature alot.

i'd love to see an actual source beyond the ever accurate Tetra book, i'd like to see it.

Elizabeth

Post Number: 77

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:19 am:       

Thank you ! This is of course music to my ears.. i do not want this wonderful beautiful pair of Green Terrors to be dwarfs.. i am looking forward to big beautiful Terrors..the bigger the better! It was just amazing that we were lucky to have a pair breed so young and even though they ate the babies {because they are too immature for parenting} we eventually should have some good babies.. Here is their recent picture.. getting a little bigger.. Green Terror Pair

dan

Post Number: 6824

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:17 pm:       

they look like your basic Aequidens rivulatus to me.

Elizabeth

Post Number: 80

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 02:39 pm:       

Glad they are your Basic's........ thanks
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * How can i tell if my Green Terrors are dwafts?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration