Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Is having/maintaining a SW tank harder/more demanding than a FW tank??       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

E. Wilson Jr
Username: Fishfrenzy

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 01:11 am:       

I might buy my bosses 75g bow front tank. Its set up right now as a SW tank, but honestly its kind of nasty. there are 2 fish in there and a ton of star fish and other little critters. But he does nothing to maintain it. Whenever the water evaporates he just gets a bucket and fills it up and every now and then feeds the fish some flakes.

Now given, if i buy the tank I dont know if i want to keep it SW or convert it to a FW Cichlid tank with rock structures.

I guess It all depends on how much harder maintaining a SW tank is than a FW. I have read about it quite a bit, and it seems that once you get past the inital setting up and the water/salt right, its just as easy if not easier then a FW tank. a few gravel vacs here and there and topping off the tank when the water evaporates. Only thing is, I know what can go wrong with a FW tank as far as algae and other probs go and I know now how to fix them for the most part. I am still having a BBA prob in my 29g tank that just wont go away.

However, how hard is it to keep a 75g SW tank pristine and almost perfect. no algae, no unwanted growths, etc etc. I basically want it to be an awsome show "like" tank that ppl with gaulk over when they come into my apartment!!! ( i know keep dreaming)

Another thing pushing me away from SW is the price of the fish and that all the LFS's around here dont offer any type of garauntee on SW fish, if it dies that night then ur screwed. On FW fish they have a 3-5 day guarantee. Oh well.........

Please let me know what yall think I should do...... thanks....

Ben Payne
Username: Flpdit

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 01:40 am:       

Well personally I have no experience with saltwater tanks but my cousin has a 125g SW tank and she has three or four different size FW tanks and I think she has to do more to maintain the SW than all four of the FW combined. The end result looks nice in the SW but if you aren't up for some work with it you should stick to FW.

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 11:51 am:       

>However, how hard is it to keep a 75g SW tank >pristine and almost perfect. no algae, no >unwanted growths, etc etc.

Actually you might actually WANT a type of algea, Corilan algea, is the bright pink/reddish/purpleish colored stuff that grows in many SW tanks. For that you need to maintain Calcium levels. If your not worried about it then you don't have to worry about calcium.

>I basically want it to be an awsome show "like" >tank that ppl with gaulk over when they come >into my apartment!!! ( i know keep dreaming)

Shouldn't be too extremely difficult, but you MUST wait for the tank to mature, over the first few months you WILL have brown diatom algea, then some red slime. All tanks that I know about go thru this "cycle" it's almost a 2nd cycle, you have the nitrogen cycle like all fish tanks, then the algea cycle.

>Another thing pushing me away from SW is the >price of the fish and that all the LFS's around >here dont offer any type of garauntee on SW >fish, if it dies that night then ur screwed. On >FW fish they have a 3-5 day guarantee. Oh >well.........

There is only one LFS in my area that offers a 2 week garauntee on fish, but it's an extra 20% of the cost to get it. If you get your water nice and "hard" (Alkalinity of 5 Meq/L or 15 DKH) you shouldn't have any problems. If your pretty good with FW fish now you'll have good luck.

>Please let me know what yall think I should >do...... thanks....

Keep reading :-) Try www.reefcentral.com and www.thereeftank.com, also www.reefcorner.com was a good link for me personally, though I don't see any updates to that site much anymore.

Trust me, once you get going with SaltWater and have some success at it, you'll never want to go back to FW. I didn't belive the first person that told me that line either, but after 6 months I'm totally hooked!

I'll try to give you a list of the basics, what I started with (and what I SHOULD have started with)...

Saltwater master test kit - I found this at Petco cheap, you get Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH tests in 1 box, though you might want to move to a PH meter later...

Refractometer - kinda expensive ($40-80), but MUCH better than using those cheap plastic hygromteres, measuers the ammount of salt in the water to make sure you have the right ammount

Safilert or Seatest ALK test (also called Carbonate hardness) Make sure to get these levels right, if you read my thread on my 125 you'll see that I messed this up and lost fish because of it)

Cheap thermomiter - anything that goes in the water, to double check your heater

Submersible heater - get a good one with built in thermostat, sized for your tank ($20-50 should do it)

If your doing FO or FOWLR cheap strip light to see the fish, if your going true Reef tank, you'll need about $800 worth or more on lighting. I went with Power Compact lights, though now I'm thinking I should have spent the extra money on Metal Hylide.

Skimmer - Don't skimp out here, get a GOOD skimmer rated for double the size of your tank ( if the skimmer says up to 150 gal tank you should be good on a 75).

Decent filters - if FO or FOWLR HOB's work just fine, if your going Reef, you'll probly want a sump to hide the equipment in. Remember that with LIVE ROCK the bacteria in the rock to your filtering mostly. You might want a cansiter filter (empty to start with) and then you can put stuff in it later to "polish" the water out if you want.

Salt mix - If you don't buy water from the LFS

Marine Buffer - I love this stuff from Seachem, if you add too much it won't go over PH of 8.3!

If you want corilian algea you'll need a calcium additive. Personally I like Reef Advantage Calcium from Seachem, easy to use.

Other than that, remember to "top off" evap. water with clean fresh water (salt doesn't evap.) If you siphon out water your siphoning out salt, so replace with saltwater.

That's about all I can think of. On my 125 tank I do about 1 hour of maintance on it M-F (add top off water, feed fish turns into an hour because I get mezmorized by the tank). Sat. Sun. I clean powerheads, siphon off any "crud" I see that needs to be. Every other weekend I do a water change....

So really the only diff. between my 125 Reef and my 75gal "show" FW tank is that I have to add top-off water to the Reef every day.

I really don't do *THAT* much more with my reef tank than I do with my FW tank, though I'm still buying stuff for the Reef. I never seem to quite get happy with it, but that's because I'm enjoying working on it so much.

Anyway I hope this helps out.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

E. Wilson Jr
Username: Fishfrenzy

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 11:22 pm:       

if i may ask about how much have u spent on that set-up??

Also about how much schould i expect to spend over the first 6 months of getting this thing set-up and running right.??

Heather
Username: Heather_sanders

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 12:38 pm:       

One day I sat down and totalled up my expenses on my 37gal reef tank, and vomited.
Here's a crude run down off the top of my head:
tank-200.00
sump tank-50.00
stand & canopy-300.00
lights-200.00
skimmer-180.00
overflow-100.00
heaters-50.00
pumps-150.00
fan-10.00
live rock-150.00
sand-50.00
corals-600.00
misc-200.00
total:$2240.00 That's probably close, plus or minus a couple hundred, I forgot to add all of the supplements I put in the tank and they are pretty expensive.

It's not hard to MAINTAIN a marine tank, it's just not as easy to set one up when you first begin to get into marine tanks, but hey, everyone has to be a beginner! The hard part about setting them up is that there are just so many ways to do it and so many opinions and options out there. Maintaining it is simple, change water, vacuum if needed, top off with RO water, add any additives you might be lacking and feed. Clean equipment monthly and things should run smoothly.
Gosh, I just keep thinking, all that money on my tiny tank, I don't even want to think about Rotties expenses LOL!

Talk about fishless cycling, I'm just plain fishless!

Rottielover

Post Number: 334
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 01:09 pm:       

I dont' have exact figures, but here goes...

Tank/stand-$500 (got it special from closing LFS)
Sump-$250 (clearance item at another LFS)
Heaters-$80
Lights-$700 (Power Compact strips)
Skimmer-FREE (got one from a friend $400 value)
Overflow-$200 (includes a vaccum pump to suck air
Return pump-$200
Powerheads-$150
Wavemaker-$140
Misc. Plumbing -$50
Sand-$100
Live Rock-~$650 (4.50 - 6 per lb.)
Corals-~$400 so far I have mostly frags to grow
Fish-~$500
Buffer-$40 (two bottles so far 20 each)
Calcium-$40 (two bottles)
Refractometer-$50
Digital PH meter-$80
UV - $150
Canister filter to run UV -$100
Egg Crate for top-$30
RO/DI unit - $300
Misc-$300 (for good measure)

$5,010 - $5,500 if I had to pay for a skimmer

Keep in mind that I spent this over a 6 month period, and I have very expensive fish and corals (Purple Tang $75, Powder Blue Tang $65)

Live Rock and Lights are where most people spend the most, if you have more patience than I do, you can either buy "base rock" (like sterile live rock no organisims) @~$2/lb or you can make your own base rock "agrocrete". Then you just need a few lb's of real Live Rock to "seed" the rest.

OK, now I need to go vomit, and then I need to hide this post from my wife...otherwise you won't ever seem me online again cause I'll be worm food. I haven't even hired the electrition to fix my wiring yet!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

Shady Joe
Ancient Member
Username: Shady_joe

Post Number: 530
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 10:44 pm:       

I just want to echo the price thing

200 tank
150 stand
350 live rock
40 live sand
40 Not live sand
125 protein skimmer
300 sump
125 refugium
65 refugium light
150 various powerheads
30 heater
750 tank lights
20 kalkwasser drip
20 micron bags
10 four inch cooling fan for halides
20 12 watt ac adapter to hook up cooling fan

seeing your sixline wrass swimming in and out of live rock while the lps corals sway in the current and the clown fish nestle in the anemone...

Priceless

Why do today that which can be put off until tomorrow.

Shady Joe
Ancient Member
Username: Shady_joe

Post Number: 531
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 10:47 pm:       

and that doesnt even include the price of corals, mushrooms etc. or fish.

please dont tell my wife how much I have spent.

Thanks
Why do today that which can be put off until tomorrow.

Rottielover

Post Number: 336
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 01:46 pm:       

I shouldn't mention this, but I just ordered a controller/timer called a "reefkeeper" from digital aquatics, to turn my new lights on and off and control my pumps.

I also just purchased a new light fixture with 3x250watt MH DE HQI 14K bulbs and two 96 watt PC's to replace the orbit strips that I just sold.

SO basically that 5 k, well it's alot MORE now....

going to vomit again
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Is having/maintaining a SW tank harder/more demanding than a FW tank??       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration