Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Starting an 11 gallon SW......need advise       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

debbs
Username: Debbs

Post Number: 960
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:23 pm:       

Well I gone and done it! Just bought an 11 gallon SW semi set up for $75 !! It comes with the tank and compact lighting. So.....

What I need to do is go very very slow in setting this up.(because of money) What kind of filter is advisable for this tank?

Can I use regular aquarium sand or do I have to have live sand?

I will be wanting live rock, can I add alittle at a time or do I have to get all of it at one time?

The only fish I want is one of those little clownfishes (nemo- for my son) and crayfish and the little blue neon gobies (seen this mix at the store and love it!).

Eventually I'll add coral. So....Rottie? Heather? Pam? Help????

Heather
Username: Heather_sanders

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:12 pm:       

Even being money conscience, I'd recommend the next thing you buy are a couple of books. May I suggest, The Consciencious Marine Aquarius by Fenner and an older book (one of my firsts) Reef Secrets by Fossa, if you have to pick only one, get Bob Fenners, it's a bit newer and updated.
Small tanks are hard to outfit a protein skimmer onto at least a decent on unless you can plumb it into a sump tank out of sight so usually I see the normal hang on the tank filters employed. Water changes and filter pad changes are needed to be done constantly to take out nutrients that a skimmer would normally take out. Evaporation and salt levels need to be in check all the time since such a small tank will fluctuate faster.
Calcified sand is preferred, silica sand is used but some say the silica has caused diatoms, I don't know if it's true or not, I used aragonite sand, which has calcium.
Research live rock, there are different kinds, know them or it could crash your tank. Use live rock to cycle your tank, it's fun.
Clownfish are territorial, I'd keep one unless you get a genuinely mated pair and those would be the only fish I'd keep and NO ANEMONES please, research them and find out why. The neon goby would get beat up by the other fish and I'm guessing the crayfish is really a purple reef lobster (enoplometopus), they are cool and would burrow in the sand or hide under your live rock, you just wouldn't see it often.
Join www.reefcentral.com, talk to people, find out if you have a club near your in the forums section, I found my club there and can't tell you how much I have benefited from it.

Talk about fishless cycling, I'm just plain fishless!

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 12:04 pm:       

I 2nd everything Heather said, read, read, read some more... And it takes a LONG time (months) before a tank is finally balanced out, so just be patient.

Can I use regular aquarium sand or do I have to have live sand?

I'd go with Araginate sand, it helps to buffer your water. I wouldn't spend the extra money on "live sand" which is basically wet sand in a bag. Your Live Rock will populate your sand for you. Again takes time, but I think you'll be happier that way.

I will be wanting live rock, can I add alittle at a time or do I have to get all of it at one time?

When you read up on Live Rock you'll notice that it has to "cure". Basically there is always some die-off that occurs when you add rock to your tank, and that causes ammonia spike. However with an 11 gal tank you'll need 10 to 15 pounds of LR. @ $6.00 per pound your only talking about $60-90 so I'd wait until I get that money saved up and get it all at once. You'll cycle the tank with the LR and won't have to go thru "mini-cycles" every time you add another peice. Plus you'll be able to pick and choose rocks that look good together.

The only fish I want is one of those little clownfishes (nemo- for my son) and crayfish and the little blue neon gobies (seen this mix at the store and love it!).

Perc. or Oce. Clowns can get to be about 6" and are generally not recommended for tanks under 30 gals. Though I do see a lot of fish stores show those 12 gal nano cubes with a juvi. clown in them. I wish they wouldn't do that. I think you might be happier with Firefish and the blue neon goby... Though you *CAN* do the clown, you'll eventually want to "upgrade" to a bigger tank. There are many fish avaible for smaller tanks and just about all fish for SW are very colorful.

About the neon vs. clown thing, I'm not sure if it would be an issue or not, especially if you add both fish at the same time. I have a neon goby in my 125gal with a maroon clown, but then again they have alot of room to get away from each other..... You'll have to do some extra reserach in this area if your heart is truely set on a clown.... Check out www.liveaquaria.com They have a pretty good care sheet along side each fish that should give you some ideas. Firefish, goby's etc. are all good for "nano" tanks.

Instead of the lobster you might want to consider a cleaner shirmp (blood shrimp or skunk) they would be more visible (they don't burrow in the sand) and are interesting to watch.

As heather said, DON"T get an anenome for the clown, it's a Myth that they HAVE TO HAVE each other to be happy, nothing can be farther from the truth... If you really want something the clown will host I'd get some easy to keep soft corals (after you get your water issues settled 6 months or so )like Xenia, flowerpot, Green Star Polups (GSP). If you do a search on reefcentral I think there is a thread with info on what clowns will host besides anenome's.

Hope this helps you out!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

debbs
Username: Debbs

Post Number: 974
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 09:09 am:       

Thanks so much for your advise and the heads up on books and sites! My head is hurting with all the reading I've done of late LOL I needed to ask those questions just to get a better understanding of what I'm reading.

Since I'm going to go slow, I'll take your advice and just start with live rock for a few months. After the set up (this weekend) I'll post a picture.

Heather it's all your fault that I'm going SW!! I swore I wasn't going to get hit with the bug, but seeing your posts and pictures for over a year, it finally got me. I'm sorry you had to tear down your tanks, and even tho you're getting bigger and better, I know how attach a person can get to a tank and it's occupants with the love and care we put into it. Hopefully the lost will soon pass with your new home and tanks. Good luck!

Rottie, you're an inspiration.

Laura
Username: Roseh

Post Number: 462
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 12:53 pm:       

Agreed with everything above, except I would not recommend blood shrimp for an 11g. My mom kept 2 in her 40g and they were monsters. Every morning we checked on the fish, at least one had a rip in a fin that wasn't there the night before. After watching the tank after lights out with only the distant kitchen light on, we saw that the "innocent" blood shrimp turned into demonic creatures under the cover of darkness. They both were removed the next day, and now there are no more mysterious ripped fins. I can't imagine what one would do in an 11g, especially after reading they are most peaceful in pairs (??). Note that these shrimp were large. We had had them for about a year and they had grown to 2 big inches and maybe just over. They didn't cause problems when they were smaller (as far as we know). Just my experience with them.. Go for a skunk cleaner. No problem with them in the 40g at all.
Organized people are too lazy to look for things.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Starting an 11 gallon SW......need advise       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration