Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * The Dragons Mated       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Laura
Username: Roseh

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 10:46 pm:       

Just want to share my excitement after watching my two dragon faced pipefish mate! Boy do they change color!! From snowflaky camo with a light pink face to bright red lines running from neck to tail and a brilliant red face. But more brilliant colors on the male than female (instead of bright red lines, it was more not so vibrant orangy and didn't run the length of the fish, but still a stunning change). It was so cool to see, I couldn't leave the tank to grab the camera ><. Though I have no intention to attempt the very very nearly impossible and raise any, it was still so very awesome to see. Yeah, just wanted to let you guys know .
Organized people are too lazy to look for things.

Shady Joe
Ancient Member
Username: Shady_joe

Post Number: 532
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 10:49 pm:       

Your face would turn red also if someone was watching you mate.
Why do today that which can be put off until tomorrow.

Laura

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 10:57 pm:       

lol. Don't think that was the case though, cause they were doing it right in the middle of the tank which doesn't even have any rockwork, just open water and aragonite. If they were that shy about it, they would have chosen a different, more secluded place .
Organized people are too lazy to look for things.

Heather
Username: Heather_sanders

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 01:40 pm:       

Congratulations on such wonderful fish and mating them, what joy! At first I thought you meant dragonets, I've seen pairs of dragonets but never have I seen a pipefish in a home tank, and you've got two having babies. You should pat yourself on the back. ;) Do you feed them live foods? Have they mated before and do you expect them to try and raise the fry or is it pretty much impossible?

Talk about fishless cycling, I'm just plain fishless!

Laura

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 04:41 pm:       

They get live baby brine feedings about 3 times a day. Sometimes 4 on weekends. They go crazy for the stuff!! However I have not been able to get them to glance at cyclopeeze yet, I'm still trying just to add variety to their diet. Their mouths are so small.. the cyclopeeze might be too big for them?? The male is only 6 inches and the female is about 7, so they have some growing to do still, so maybe later they'll eat cyclopeeze. They'll also eat any pods they find in the tank.

They have mated once before, in the fish store. They were kept in their coral tank with various chromis, a neon dottyback, a few tangs, wrasses, jawfish, and there's probably other things in there too. I really couldn't find much in depth info on the net about these guys, so most of my info is from observing them in this tank for 6 months. I visited and watched them at least 2 times a week to know more about these wonderful fish before bringing them home and to decide if I should bring them home. They were doing great there and are doing great in my tank as well, so I'm not sure why the few, unanswered questions on www.reefcentral.com about them were asking if they were nearly impossible to keep?? Cause so far, as long as you pay attention to their special needs, it really hasn't been too difficult.

I don't expect them to raise any young as, though I haven't read anything about the dragons about this, other pipefish will eat their young. I'd rather them get a meal and add more variety to their diet than attempting to raise tiny hairs :-).
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * The Dragons Mated       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration