Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Hammer corals just shot their... oops, my wife says I cant say that.       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Shady Joe
Ancient Member
Username: Shady_joe

Post Number: 533
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 10:22 pm:       

I did several small (5 gallon) water changes over the past few weeks because I was trying to rid the tank of red slime remover.

everything looks great except that all of my (4) hammer corals just expelled their zooanthallae (sp).

my frogspawns, torches, and anemone all look fab.

any opinions?

was it the red slime remover?
was it the too frequent water changes?
was it that I removed the carbon?

or was it that Sully has too many posts?
Why do today that which can be put off until tomorrow.

Heather
Username: Heather_sanders

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 10:50 pm:       

Are they totally bleached? Any tissue loss? Did you replace the old carbon with new carbon? I'd think it could be all of the above. Stress from the red slime remover, possible chemical imbalances from the water changes and sudden carbon change. It's been said that changing all of the carbon may clear up the water just enough to let a little extra light in and that sudden change may cause bleaching. I don't know though, I used GAC and changed mine out monthly, never experiencing anything negative, so...

Every once in a while, if my salt was a little off while doing a water change, my hammer would expel some type of brownish slime from it's mouths as if irritated, it would shrink just a bit but recover minutes later, I'm pretty sure it was just slime, not it's zooxanthellae though. I hope yours will make it and you get over that cyano, it's a real pain. If the tissue is in tact and it's still extending, I'd leave it alone for now, since you have more Euphilia species and they use the same make up of zooxanthellae, there will be some the hammers will pick back up. However, if you see it start to decay, either break the pieces off and keep trying or pitch them.
HTH

Talk about fishless cycling, I'm just plain fishless!

Shady Joe
Ancient Member
Username: Shady_joe

Post Number: 534
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 01:08 am:       

the hammers all have the same physical appearance as always. They look great except that they have a bleached look.

Im sure it was a combination of all the things that I did that angered them.

The funny thing is that my tank has been so maintenance free for so long that I just invented something to do. My refugium had a lot of cyano (apparently normal), enough to bother me so I treated the tank.

I guess I should have left things alone. My course of action is to do no more water changes for a couple of weeks so that the water starts to resemble sea water again instead of RO water with salt mixed in.

being that the hammers tissues are all in tact, it will probably uptake more algae. I just scooted my halides forward so they are not beaming down directly on them. I assume that because they expelled their zoolljlkdjflaj that they are more vulnerable to the damaging rays of the light.

perhaps I could squirt some sunscreen in the tank to protect them? Nah. Probably would clog my fishes gills or something. (detect non serious humor here)

Tanks everyone. Oops, I mean thanks. What a geek I am

Why do today that which can be put off until tomorrow.

Heather
Username: Heather_sanders

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:52 pm:       

Gotta love those big words, hope things start to look better. You're not a geek until you know how to spell zooxanthellae without a dictionary. Please point finger my way and yell GEEK!

Talk about fishless cycling, I'm just plain fishless!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Hammer corals just shot their... oops, my wife says I cant say that.       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration