Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Turbo start       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

ivelisse
Username: Sweates

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 10:27 am:       

Have anyone ever heard of turbo start. The lfs store says it helps your tank cycle faster like a week. Is that true.

ivelisse

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 - 10:30 am:       

Oh yeah is the visi jet protein skimmer any good? I have a 55 gallon tank.

Heather
Username: Heather_sanders

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:47 pm:       

Never heard of it and wouldn't trust it, marine biospira made by Marineland (I think that's what it's called). There are some reviews of protein skimmers on www.reefcentral.com, you can look for the visijet there, I used an AquaC but would have gone with a EuroReef instead, not enough for my 37 gallon, I believe a visijet is a different kind of skimmer than what I used though.

Talk about fishless cycling, I'm just plain fishless!

ivelisse

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 08:10 pm:       

I started up a new saltwater tank on the 24th of february i put three fish in, right now five and I used a 4oz bottle of turbo start(pricy, $20) and cycle. I test my water every day or two from then and my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate has been at zero from day two. I used live sand and live rocks also. My ph was alittle low about 7.8 Im used seachem buffer it was at 8.0 yesterday. I put in the fish on the 25th of February and I used the turbo start on the 26th of February.

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 353
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 12:30 pm:       

Where the Live Rocks cured? If not you'll get some die off on the rocks and your ammonia level will rise.

I advise you check the ammonia at least every day, or better yet Seachem makes an "ammonia alert" that's pretty good, you stick it in the tank and it changes color to warn you about ammonia.

If the LR was cured already then you'll have very little problems and your tank will cycle quickly.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

ivelisse

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 08:51 pm:       

I have been checking the ammonia every day and its still 0. Thank God. Everything is zero and ph 8.3. Is it ok that besides the live rocks from the store I also used rocks and shells from the beach, Miami Beach.I was wondering I had a miniatus grouper in my tank, I just put a v-tail grouper in, the miniatus has been picking on it so the v-tail just hangs around the top and the miniatus doesn't bother it up there.

ivelisse

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 08:53 pm:       

Oh Im using one marine glo bulb and one 50/50 bulb is that okay. Thanks

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 10:29 pm:       

Great to hear about the ammonia levels. Most people I talk to usually recommend that you not put stuff from the beach directly into your tank, mostly due to pollution. Shells should be fine if you wash them off good first. Rock's I'd be a bit more concerned about, but if they are already in your tank, well, just keep checking your test kits ;)

I don't have any 1st hand experiance with groupers, sorry can't help you there.

50/50 bulbs are fine, though usually they are manufatured in the "Normal Output or NO" style bulbs. If you ever want to turn the tank into a "reef" tank with live coral you'll need to look into more lighting. If your doing Fish Only type tank (in your case it's a FOWLR fish only with live rock) then you just need enough light to see your fish!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Turbo start       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration