Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Setting up a 10g or 20L SW tank for 1st time.... Need some help.....       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

E. Wilson Jr
Username: Fishfrenzy

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 01:36 am:       

My girlfriend and I are planning out our first SW tank. we have 3 FW tanks and Im getting a 75g bow front tank which i am turning into an african cichlid tank. Anywho over the past yr she keeps falling in love with the oh so pretty SW fish at the stores and want to have a small SW tank so I caved in and said ok. LOL Heres what we have so far. We are going either with a regular 10g or a 20g Long tank. we are going to go with a sand base, some live rock and eventually want to add some corals etc. As for fish we dont really care, once we got the tank stabilized we are going to pick fish that are suitable for the tank. Now what other items do we need to get this thing up and running.

Filters: should we use a HOB or get a protein skimmer?? If a skimmer what size/kind should we get??

Lighting: I was looking at power compact set-ups but wasnt sure how much light we really might need. how many watts should i count on needing with live rock, corals etc??

Should we get some powerheads? how many?

OMG my mind just went blank--------- lol i guess thats what happens at 1 am when ur waiting for a snow storm to hit!! LOL

Anyway, we basically need everything. if y'all could be so kind to kind of make a list and we'll go from there, we'd greatly appreciate it!! also any comments/info would help also!! Thanks in advance!!

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6098
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 06:54 am:       

I've seen the pretty reef/invert tanks on the nanotank sites, but the people in my circle of family and friends have had little success with SW fish unless they started with at least a 29 gallon size. Even then they typically used live sand and rock, a power filter and a small protein skimmer, and two rotating powerheads, one in each back corner.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 06:12 pm:       

Like Cindy said, the more water you have, the better, because it's easier to keep the parameters in check once you get them where you want them.

As far as lights go, it depends on the type of corals you want. Though I can tell you from my personal experiance you'll be much happier in the end with MH lighting... Though there are some really good PC fixtures out there, they will limit you to soft corals....(there is much debate over lighting in reef tanks still, my own personal experiance is that I got a free SPS frag that was brown under PC lighting, when I "upgraded" to MH, it's now turning a floressant blue!

If you plan on keeping fish, you'll want a skimmer, no doubt about it. Though some run smaller tanks without them and use water changes, by the time you add up the cost of all that salt mix, you'll have wished you purchased a skimmer, though even the Hang on type skimmers usually require a 29 or better sized tank....

Personally.... If you have the money, I'd go for a 29, they seem to be really good "small" tanks, but will allow you to hold quite a bit of livestock (trust me, I just purchased a bunch of Zoanthids from a local guy, who's 29 was PACKED!)

A good example, Jeff the reefer I purchased these zoa's from, has a 29 gal with a sump (I think a 10 gal tank) and has 1 x 250 watt MH light to light it (also some blue power compacts for dusk and dawn). I belive he runs a HOB "Remora" skimmer, and I'm not sure about his powerheads....

All I can keep saying is... Read read and then read some more, there is A LOT of info out there!!!!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Setting up a 10g or 20L SW tank for 1st time.... Need some help.....       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration