Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Algae!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Melissa Giorgetti
Username: Cutester411

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 12:40 pm:       

Hi I have a 46 gallon saltwater tank that has been running for about 4 months. I have succesfully been able to keep a yellow tang, clown fish, and damsel alive for all that time. I have one concern. My tank is covered in black, and purple algea. Is this bad? I just cvers the rocks and pebbles on the bottom. I do have some green algea that is starting to cover the back wall and some of the ground. I do like algea in my tank and don't want to remove it if it is not harmful. I was told all different stories. I was told that the purple algea is the best and I've been told it's the worst and to get rid of it. Before I enter into more sensitive fish I would really like to clear up my confusion.

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 12:03 pm:       

I'm not sure about the Black, could be Cynobacteria, do a search on "Red Slime" for that.

Purple is usually Coralin algea, it's a calcious algea that generally considered to be "pretty" and/or a "good" algea to have. It will cover your rocks and your glass/acrylic...

To scrape it off of viewing area's you'll need a scraper blade, Kent makes one with interchangable blades, red plastic blade for acrylic tanks and yellow w/ metal blade for glass tanks.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

cutester411
Username: Cutester411

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:13 am:       

Thanks again!!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Algae!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration