Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Sand???       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Melissa Giorgetti
Username: Cutester411

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 12:42 pm:       

I have no sand in my tank is that bad? I have small rocks/pebbles covering the bottom. It's 46 gallon saltwater tank.

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 12:06 pm:       

"Sand" isn't really a needed item, though many people don't like pebbles (AKA "crushed coral") as a substrate because they tend to trap detris which will decay and cause water quality issues, unless you keep it gravel vac'd.

Many people with saltwater go for Araginite "sand" (It's really 2-4mm pebbles) because it has some buffering capacity (it will disolve if your PH is too low, helping to raise the PH and maintain it).

Many people also run "bare bottom" tanks now. You can do a search on that and find a lot of good info out there.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

cutester411
Username: Cutester411

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:14 am:       

Thanks
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Sand???       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration