Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * My saltwater hermit crab died... why??       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Melissa Giorgetti
Username: Cutester411

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 12:48 pm:       

I bought a hermitt crab recently. I was told they eat algea (which my tank has plent of) and leftover food and garbage from the other fish. I bought one for a 46 gallon saltwater tank. I was told the only thing it needed was shells to move into. After I had him for two days he seemed fine. Moved around and was quite social for being alone. But two days later I found him dead outside of his shell. Is that normal for them to die outside of thier shells? Was it because he didn't have a new shell to go into? I am new at the whole hermit crab thing and would like to get more. Help!!

Denise
Username: Dee

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 06:30 pm:       

Melissa sorry to hear about your crab. I don't know much about saltwater animals. I did try to google and look for you but there are all different kinds of crabs and didn't know what one you had.
All I can do is suggest that you post in the saltwater sections here and see if anyone knows about hernit crabs or I did find a great sight called saltwaterfish.com and people seemed to ask alot of questions on crabs. I even went to there search area and typed in hermit crabs and got to read some. Maybe you can get on there if no one can help you here on saltwater.
Sorry I don't know any more. Freshwater girl here!
Fish, fry, frogs & snails galore.....Oh, how I wish I could have some more.....I'll just have to open a store!!!

cutester411

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 11:39 pm:       

it's ok
thanks though.
I don't know which one I had either after looking into it i must have had a stary-eyed hermit crab. I think.

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 12:24 pm:       

Several possible answers:

1) Crab was doing a "molt" and needed a bigger shell. They need to "upgrade" thier shell homes when they grow bigger. Usually LFS's will give you emtpy snail shells if you ask nice (or if your like me you get your wife to bat the eyelashes at the guy and ask for shells LOL ).

2) Copper in the water. If you've ever used a copper based med in the tank before, it's nearly impossible to get the lethal levals of copper out of the water (copper in very small ammounts will kill inverts like crabs, shrimp, etc.)

3) I think I remember you said you had a damsel fish, sometimes, they can get agressive and kill crabs, I've heard stories about this, so It could be a possible cause, but #'s 1 and 2 are much more common.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

Heather
Username: Heather_sanders

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 10:22 am:       

How did you acclimate it? A slow drip is usually required for all marine animals, usually 30 minutes to an hour, taking half of the bag water out and dripping your tank water into it's water. Could have been shock. Are you completely sure you aren't just seeing the old molt? You say in another thread you are having alk problems, that will compromise any animal you put into the tank if your params aren't right...

Talk about fishless cycling, I'm just plain fishless!

cutester411

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:09 am:       

Thanks everyone!!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * My saltwater hermit crab died... why??       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration