Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * How can I control long/short green algae, red slime and little star fish looking things?!?!?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

E. Wilson Jr
Username: Fishfrenzy

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 12:52 pm:       

As most of yall might know my boss has a 75g bow front tank that has been set up for about 8-9 yrs.  he is going to sell it to me soon. and i am still contemplating the idea of keeping it a SW tank  it has crushed coral substrate with a bunch of live rocks and some corals.  he never takes care of it but somehow the 2 damsels that are in there manage to stay alive.  it has ALOT of short and long haired green algae growing all over the back of the tank along with what looks like a red slimey film.  he also has A WHOLE LOT of little starfish looking creatures that have 6-7 limbs and they are stuck on the glass all  over the front of the tank.  Anyway, i am just curious as to if i were to keep this tank a SW tank, how would i go about controlling all the algae and slime and those little starfish looking creatures.??   Thanks for any/all help!!!

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 12:10 pm:       

Controlling "hair algea" AKA HA, needs several things. First and formost you'll need to test the water for Nitrates, I'd be willing to bet that if your boss never takes much care of the tank the Nitrate levels' are going to be well over 80-100ppm and probly higher.

Red Slime is usually controlled by reducing the ammount of Dissolved Organic Compounds AKA DOC in the water which the bacteria feeds on.

For both Nitrates and DOC you need a GOOD protein skimmer, and make sure it's pulling out a nice "wet" foam (the skimmate should be a weak tea color). Most likely you'll need to empty the cup at least once a day for while.

You'll also want to siphon off and scrub off as much unwanted algea as you can to get it out of the tank. When it dies and decays it creates fuel for the other algea to feed on, so getting it out of the system is the only option.

The starfish are mostly harmless, though if there isn't enough food in the tank they could potentially start munching on corals. Best control is to remove them when you see them.

Whew.. Fingers are hurting now :-)
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

E. Wilson Jr

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:33 pm:       

Thanks rottie for the help. I have been looking at protein skimmers, I can only afford about $200 for one. I am also looking at water purification systems to hook up under the sink to the tap water to filter out all the metals and chlorine etc. However once again i cant afford the super extensive expensive ones. I need a good but cheap one that can get the job done. so i dont have to go to a store and look for bottled R.O water everytime i need to do a water change. im sure that can get really pricey!!! Any ideas or suggestions?!?!

E. Wilson Jr

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:41 pm:       

power head and red slime.

if you look close u will notice a red slime on the glass. what is that and will controlling the nitrates /getting a protein skimmer get rid of that also??

E. Wilson Jr

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:43 pm:       

power head and algae......

Pic of 2 of the 4 power heads and some of the nasty algae that covers most of the glass in the tank.

E. Wilson Jr

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:47 pm:       

full tank view.

heres a blurry pic of the whole tank.

E. Wilson Jr

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:50 pm:       

stuff on live rocks

what is the round green leaf like stuff thats on the live rock?? is it good or bad to have ??

E. Wilson Jr

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:59 pm:       

star fish like little creature

heres the best pic i could get of one of the little star fish like creatures that are alll over the tank. What exactly is it?!?!

E. Wilson Jr

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 12:04 am:       

full tank and stand pic

heres a pic of the full tank and stand etc.

Im just curious as to how much yall would pay for this whole set-up as it is?!?! its a 75g bow front tank.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 01:36 pm:       

Pic 1 - Cynobacteria A.K.A. Red Slime Skimmer will reduce the DOC in the water helping to "starve" this algea out. I also recommend siphoning out as much as you can. Also a product called "chemi-clean" helped me out.

Pic 2 - A little hard to make out, but I can see pink/purple coralin algea and what looks to be Hair Algea too. The coralin algea is considered "good" and you want it to grow (not only does it look nice, but it eat's the nutraints that other "bad" algea's also eat. Hair Algea can be controled with critters that eat it, and keeping nitrate levels low.

Pic 4 - Looks like mushrooms (a type of Coral) very good think to have.

Pic 5- Def. your typical hitchhiker starfish. I would just remove them from the tank as you see them.

As far as a price on the whole setup.... Just keep in mind that to setup that tank probly took a few thousand dollars. Go to websites and LFS's and see what you'd pay (retail) for Live Rock, Tank Stand, Tank, Lights, Etc.etc. Add it up and it will give you an idea of a fair price to offer.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * How can I control long/short green algae, red slime and little star fish looking things?!?!?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration