Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Switching over to reef whats first??       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Melissa Giorgetti
Username: Cutester411

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 04:50 pm:       

I am very interested in switching my SW aquarium to a reef tank. I have not sand or crushed coral. I have rocks/pebbles all along the bottom of the tank. I also have three fish which I would like to keep. A clown, yellow tang, and damsel. I would like to make the change soon. What is my first step? do I need crushed coral? Is it best? My tank is kept at 80 deg, .022 sal, and is 46 gal. Any help would be appreciated

cutester411

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 06:21 pm:       

I also wanted to say i have a 40 W, 18000k, 180 Lux bulb in the tank my tank is about 18 inches in depth is this sufficiant?

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 12:15 pm:       

If your wanting to keep Corals (aka Reef tank) then you'll need to upgrade your lighting. 40 watts is only giving you less than 1 watt per gallon. Although there is no "rule of thumb" on lighting reef tanks, for an example you can take my tank, I have a little over 5 watts of light per gallon of water. At 18" deep if you want to keep clams or SPS corals you'll going to be the happiest with a Metal Hylide system.

Also you may want to replace the pebbles with Araginite "sand" or Crushed Coral as these help to buffer the water. Or you can setup your tank as a Bare Bottom setup.

Live Rock is the most important thing, I'm not sure if you have any or not yet, but you're going to need 1 to 1.5 pounds of Live Rock per gallon of water.

You'll want to do more reading, I recommend the following sites.

www.thereeftank.com
www.reefcentral.com
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

cutester411

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:11 am:       

Thank you I knew the lighting would be a needed upgrade.
I just didn't know how important the sand or crushed coral was.]
Very helpful thanks
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Switching over to reef whats first??       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration