Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * ALK problems       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

cutester411
Username: Cutester411

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 11:07 am:       

My alk is regeristing high. All the things i read about offer solutions if it is low. Adding a calcium based buffer. But mine is very high. My ph is regeristing fine. Is this something I should not worry about or is there something I can do to fix it??

Betsy
Username: Betsy

Post Number: 645
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 02:41 pm:       

What type of aquatic life are you keeping, cutester? If it's just fish (other than cichlids or a rare specialty fish), I wouldn't worry about the alkalinity or the ph- just focus on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If you're keeping some decorative snails or shrimp or cichlids, then it becomes more important. What size tank are we talking about here? If you have readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, these would be good, too. You want your ammonia and nitrite to be 0, and your nitrate to be a measureable level below 10 ppm. (Pardon me if you already know this- I am unclear as to your level of knowlege, and want to make sure your tank is properly cycled, to avoid problems for you down the road.)

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 12:28 pm:       

Respectfully I disagree, ALK is very important for maintaining your Ph Level, and if you have large PH swings durring a 24 hour period then your fish will be stressed and can die. This is one problem I had when I first started my Reef tank. Your ALK level can be thought of as basically the waters resistance level to PH swings.

How high are we talking about here? Generally the range we shoot for is 10-15 DKH or 3-5 meq/L

If it's higher than that you can do a water change making sure you only use salt mix and no Alk product when you mix up the new water....

What is your reading?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

Betsy
Username: Betsy

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 07:21 pm:       

Rottie, this was originally in the freshwater tropical section- I didn't know it was for salt water when I answered. I've never seen anyone have problems with alk in their freshwater tank unless they were trying to alter their ph, keep a more delicate species of fish, or were keeping chiclids. If I had known it was saltwater, I never would have posted, as I have no experience in such matters. Sorry for the confusion!

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 01:27 pm:       

OH, sorry betsy, I didn't realize it had been moved.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * ALK problems       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration