Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * What is Araginite       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Karen Curry
Username: The_fish_fan

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 03:45 pm:       

What is in the araginite sand they sale. It says "live" aragonite.

~Karen~

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6364
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 07:14 pm:       

Here you go:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22live%22+aragonite+sand

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Laura
Username: Roseh

Post Number: 526
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 09:10 pm:       

If this "live sand" comes in a bag, then it's actually just "wet" sand. Most of the little critters in there are already dead. It's cheaper just to use regular aragonite and then let the live rock spread the little critters to the sand.

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 04:29 pm:       

Aragonite is a common mineral made up of calcium carbonate (Ca CO3) the same stuff many corals, and some other marine organisms are made from.

"Aragonite Sand" is usually 2 to 4 milimeter sized particals of this substance. The major benifit of using this type of sand is that if your Ph Drops some of the sand will dissolve into calcium and some into carbonate which will help to buffer the ph and keep it from dropping any more, though practically not enough of it will disolve to keep things from dying on you...

As Laura said, the "live" stuff is just wet, and your mostly paying for water weight, though those that sell it will tell you that *SOME* of the bacteria *could* still be alive. (I find this unlikely since the bags of wet sand have been shipped in trucks where the tempature can swing wildly.

All that said, I use it in both my Reef and my Fish only tank. I like the look of the white sand, plus some people think that corals get a small benifit from the light that is reflected by the white color.

Hope that Helps!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * What is Araginite       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration