Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * From fresh to saltwater       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

ivelisse
Username: Sweates

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 07:18 pm:       

Hi, I've decided to sell my 55 gallon saltwater tank and sell my fish from my 150 gallon fresh water tank and set it up as salt water. The fresh water tank has been running for 1 1/2 month. Do I need to replace all the media from the filter from the fresh water tank? It's a canister filter and a aquaclear70 filter and Im also gonna use the aquaclear 110 thats on the 55 gallon. Is there any recommendations.

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 372
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 04:56 pm:       

I don't think you'll need to "replace" the media in the sense that you should dump eveything and buy new media.

When converting the tank I would use it as time to clean everything really well, and replace carbon etc. As far as any bio balls, or stars or anything like that, you'll probly want to rinse them really well in the tap and clean them (freshwater baterica and saltwater bacteria are different and any FW bacteria will die in the saltwater and help to polute the tank).

I guess what I'm getting at as rinse everything out, and realize that your 150 is going to go thru some ammount of "new tank syndrome" as it "mini-cycles". Using the 110 filter from the established 55 gal will help to seed your bacteria population.

I would also take the oppertunity while the 150 is empty to consider if you're going to ever want to run with a sump. If so while the tank is empty is the time to consider getting it drilled etc.

Good luck and let us know how things go!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

ivelisse
Username: Sweates

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 10:05 pm:       

Thanks a bunch for the response Rottielover. Im using two canister filter, one is a Rena 175 and one is proquatics 125 and a 150 seaclone protein skimmer.I transferred some of the rocks from the older tank, some water and transferred the filter from the older tank. How long do you think its gonna take before I can transfer the fish from the older tank to the new tank.

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:10 am:       

Good Questoin, unfortunatly the answer is "It depends"

On how many fish, how much rock, etc.

I would say to monitor your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels, General rule o thumb is that when you have 0 amm. 0 nitrite and ~10 Nitrate then your good to go...

Since your moving them from one tank to another, if you have time, I would move a few fish at a time, and keep an eye on the ammonia levels, if you don't see any spike within a couple days to a week then move a few more fish etc.

Best case would be you never see any ammonia at all!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

ivelisse
Username: sweates

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 09:42 pm:       

How long should it take before I start running the skimmer.Its been running for a week now everything at zero. oh 8.0

Rottielover
Username: rottielover

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 01:37 pm:       

If you haven't already I would plug in your skimmer and get it running. It takes the skimmers (especially new skimmers) a while (up too a couple weeks) to "break in". There are some oils etc. that get on the parts of the skimmer durring manufacturing that you just can't really wash off. And it takes a little while of running before they are washed away, and then your skimmer will start pulling out foam.

ivelisse

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 09:02 pm:       

hey there, I have a problem. I bought two maroon clowns, a foxface, and a yellow tang on Thursday. On saturday both clowns died they did not fight each other, this morning my tang died, tonight my foxface died. My water was tested yesterday and today my ph was 8.2, my nitrite, nitrate, and my ammonia is all at 0, what do you think is the problem. What went wrong.Oh I did a 20 percent water change last month, I added another filter. I fed them brine shrimp and flakes.Help. Please.

ivelisse

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 09:03 pm:       

Oh that tank is my 55 gallon I set up in February.

Laura
Username: roseh

Post Number: 604
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 12:28 pm:       

Ivelisse, that's a whole lot of fish to add at one time, not to mention it's even too many fish for that tank.

Water changes will need to be more frequent than monthly and I doubt that all the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings were 0. How old are your test kits? They can get old and not test properly. But did you follow all the instructions on the kit? Just can't see how all those fish died, no water changes were done, and the water still tests perfect and isn't picking up anything..

You most likely have a mini-cycle going on from that huge increase in fish load and that is what killed your fish.

And this is the 55 gallon that it seems you've decided to keep and not sell, right?
That's not how you spell CHEESE!

Heather
Username: heather

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 12:50 pm:       

This is a classic case of new tank syndrome AND you not doing your research.

You have not cycled your tank properly and your fish will continue to die off if you keep going in the direction you are going.

Back around 2/26 you should have just added your live rock/sand and water and left it at that along with your protein skimmer, pumps and whatever filter you had running at the time. You should not have added the "cheap" fish, probably damsels, and I think it was 3-5 of them, then you added things from beach which are not tropical, and will certainly contaminate your tank. While your tank is trying to establish bacteria and keeping up with the extra ammonia from the damsels, you add on 3/9/05 two more fish, a miniatus grouper that grows to 16 inches and possibly a dottyback or another grouper, I'm a little unsure there. Your cycle is again interrupted and I question your test kits readings of 0/0/0, possibly from the additions of turbo start and cycle which are not needed at all. Now, to the present, adding four more fish to an uncycled tank, all of which cannot fit into a 55gal tank together, and along with the other occupants you created an unlivable space. I would also question your acclimation technique. Do you drip acclimate your fish or float the bag?

I think quite a few people have given you some great advice before but you've sort of jumped the gun, probably from excitement, I did it too, I think we all do. The key is patience, take a few steps back, look at some other peoples tanks and see what they have done and how they did it and how long it took them, it wasn't completed in just 3 or 4 months, I promise.

I urge you to visit these sites, they contain so much useful information, I owe much of what I know today from mainly www.reefcentral.com and also www.reefs.org

Are you still getting your saltwater from the lfs? Are you planning on purchasing a RO filter? Do you have a protein skimmer yet? Are you doing only monthly water changes? Can you list all the equipment you are using please? Sorry for your losses, it will get better for you!
:-)

ivelisse

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 04:59 pm:       

the groupers are in the bigger tank the 55 only housed the four fish that died. The 55 has a visi jet skimmer and two 110 filters, heater.I have two tanks. I did not sell the 55.I brought my test kit in February. Really four fish is too much for a 55.I dont have much rocks in it.I did do a water change last month.I just finished testing my water again and the nitrite is 0, my nitrate is 0, my ammmonia is 0 and my ph is 8.0
my salinity is .025 I put a yellow eye tang in the 55 today its the only fish. The only reason I could come up with is that i didnot acclimate them properly. So I followed procedures unlike the other times. I always float the bag for 30 minutes but I add water and then put the fish in the tank with a net. Today I float for 30 minutes, then I opened the bag and put the water and fish in a small bucket and drip water in the bucket for 30-40 minutes then i added the fish the aquarium.

Heather
Username: heather

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:25 pm:       

From your past posts, I believe both of your tanks have not been propely cycled. Also, I could not tell which fish you had in what tank, I hope my help is not being taken the wrong way...
The reason you are coming up with all 0's on your test kits are from the water changes,not enough time for bacteria to establish, possible false readings from bacterial starters and the size of the tanks, IMHO.

If you would like further help, you'll have to list in detail, each tank, their setup, including equipment and fish, please include common names and scientific names if possible. Include what type/brand of sand, live/dead rock and any chemicals/supplements and what type of replacement water you use. List the start up date and how you've been keeping them up with maintenance and such.

In the future, I advise no more fish additions, use live rock only to establish the 55gal, discontinue any bacterial starters and wait on water changes until you see a reading of ammonia, you will have to carefully watch the tank with the fish in it, it is not advisable to cycle a tank with anything other than damsels if that at all, fishless cycling is so much easier and easier on the fish's health. If your fish exhibit stress, you will have to change out water or it may be best to part with them, consider it a lesson learned.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * From fresh to saltwater       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration