Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * New to this       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Raven
Username: Raven

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 09:29 pm:       

Yea..I've been in the fish thing for 3 or 4 years now...and 2 years before that.
its been tropical and cold water mostly...my dad used to have a saltwater tank "back in the day."
But he doesn't remember much about it...so since you guys are helpful for everything. I thought I might ask here.

I've tried reseaching but...not much success.
I wanted to try it out fist..with "beginner" fish. Some that will just introduce me into the whole saltwater business.And anything else that will help me with the new tank.

Thanks

cindy
Username: Cindy

Post Number: 6462
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 09:34 pm:       

Most of my research so far has led me to believe that a starting with a damsel is the SW water equivalent of "a few danios" to cycle the tank...but if I were you I would still do that research, starting here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Rottielover
Username: Rottielover

Post Number: 373
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 05:02 pm:       

I agree with cindy, damsels are generally considered to be the "danios" of the Saltwater world. Though if your wanting to move to a full out "reef" tank, I would suggest a small school (3 or so) Green Chromis (a.k.a. Blue/Green Reef Chromis). Many also consider them "danio" like, and they are far less agressive than most damsels who tend to get territorial.

ReefCentral is a great place to start, I would also consider buying some books from Amazon, I think Reefcentral has a recommended reading list that is very good.

Also do some searching on Google and RC (reefcentral) and see if you can find a saltwater club in your area. For example, Cindy and I both live in the St. Louis area, and there is a group here called Saltwater Enthusiasts of St. Louis (SEASL.org)

Many of the local clubs have "mentor" programs where someone will help you out!

I've found that much like with freshwater, SW is what you make of it, that is.. If you want a simple tank with some fish, you can do that, if you want a living coral reef, you can do that too, and just about anything in between!

Good Luck!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown

Raven
Username: Raven

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 09:29 pm:       

thank you very much
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * New to this       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration