Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * How big       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

zach
Username: zfootballz1

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 10:03 am:       

soon i will be getting a 20 gal tank i was just wondering is that big enough to start a salt wat tank. can i start a salt water with a 10 gal? or will i have to stick with freshwater

Botia Junkie
Admin
Username: craig_morrison

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 08:50 pm:       

Zach,

As with most things fishie, the bigger tank you start with the better off you will be.

Saltwater/reef tanks are not something that you can just jump into with both feet. Hop on over to Google and do a search for "nano reef" and read the hits that come up.

In my opinion (which you can take for what its worth) anything less than a 55 gallon tank is a nano when it comes to saltwater.

Craig's Fish Delivery, at your service..

Betsy
Username: betsy

Post Number: 732
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 09:04 pm:       

Saltwater tanks are extremely difficult and expensive to set up and maintain, Zach- the smaller the tank, the harder it is. Why not concentrate on your tropicals for a while? Many tropical fish, such as cherry barbs, have colors that are just as intense as saltwater fish.

Rottielover
Username: rottielover

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 01:34 pm:       

I agree that you should do some reading about "nano" saltwater tanks.

I have personally seen a 10 gal reef tank, complete with a couple dozen SPS corals, under a single MH light. It was an amazing achivement, but it was very difficult to do, and the owner has to spend more time on maintence for his 10 gal that I have to do on my 120.

So, yes, it is possible to run a 10 gal or 20 gal Saltwater tank, but I think you'll find that unless your specifically after a "nano" tank, or a species tank (like pipefish / seahorses / mantis shrimp) that a 10 or 20 gal tank is going to end up setup as your hospital or QT tank.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight... It's the size of the fight in the dog! -unknown
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * How big       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration