Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * BW tank almost SW , need help with algae eaters!!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

debbs
Advanced Member
Username: debbs

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 09:36 am:       

I've a Brackish tank with Green Spotted Puffers and Knight Gobies. Salinity is 1.016., 55 Gallon, reef lighting (the cheap kind).

I can't grow plants nor can I use snails or shrimp to battle the algae. It is a brown slimey algae and hard green algae I have. Most days I don't even put the lights on the tank because of algae problems.

I asked in BW Forum for help and was suggested since I'm so close to SW to ask here also.

Is there any species of fish etc that can live in this salinity and help keep this algae at bay and not be killed/eaten by my GSP's?

BW 55, FW 75, 3-10's, 6 & 5
Amazingly, it's not just fish!

Heather
Username: heather

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 10:46 am:       

Maybe we can help eachother. What is the highest SG your puffers and gobies can be in? Sometiems an increase in salinity does the trick. And would you be open to using a protein skimmer on the tank? There are certain macroalgaes that may grow well in your tank and squeeze out the microalgae. Does your 55g have the two small strip lights or one large one and how many watts total? Thought about putting live rock into the tank? The fish would love it and it would turn into a great biofilter, it's just harder to put it into the tank after it's already established.

There are some algae eaters for marine tanks, however, they only eat "hair" algae and it doesn't sound like what you have. Some blennies, tangs and some of the larger fish will eat at hair algae because of their diet.

It sounds more like you may need to go this the non fishy way first then you get the added benefits of a low salinity marine tank with some cool fish. There are pros and cons though, I believe you are experiencing the con. ;)

I am a lumberjack and I'm okay.

debbs
Advanced Member
Username: debbs

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 01:29 pm:       

Hi Heather :-)

You may have given me a solution! To answer your question, the Puffers and Gobies will eventually be acclimated to 1.023 which I believe is full Marine? But the Puffers are not ready yet, they still have another year of growing (or another 1", whichever comes first) before they will be ready for full marine. In the meantime, they seem to be doing very well with 1.016.

I honestly do not think it's a good idea to add fish to this tank as the older the Puffers become, the more agressive they become. I'm totally taking a chance with the 2 knight gobies

You mentioned the Protein skimmer.....we knew when we went full marine we would need one for this tank, but what I didn't know, was if I could add this skimmer BEFORE full marine. Of course there's much research that needs to be done before we go that route.

As to lighting, I have the regular flourescent 48" bulb fixture which holds 2 24" bulbs. They sell bulbs for this fixture that say they are for Reef Tanks. Are they good enough? Remember, I can't have coral or even a decent amt. of live rock (Puffers will eat them both) although I did plan to have some very small live rock eventually to help the puffers keep their teeth trimmed.

I think I answered your questions...so what do you think? Can I buy a protein skimmer now with a salinity of 1.016 or do I need to wait till I go full marine? And do I need special lighting although I won't be keeping coral?
BW 55, FW 75, 3-10's, 6 & 5
Amazingly, it's not just fish!

Erin
Advanced Member
Username: emc2

Post Number: 706
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 01:47 pm:       

Heather, would a small HOB refugium help by absorbing nutrients? Is the salinity high enough to grow some macro algaes?

David
Username: bigwave

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 06:44 pm:       

I think Eel grass grows in the lower salinity, although I am not sure. It may help.

Also Mangroves trees will absorb nutrients, and may help compete with the Algae. They will tolerate a wide range of salinity.

This is not coming from personal experience, just what I have read.

Heather
Username: heather

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 07:09 pm:       

Macroalgaes like calurpa and chaetomorpha are very tolorant and would grow in the display or in a refugium like Erin suggested, with your NO lights, Debbs, it shouldn't be a problem growing them, that is what most people use on them anyway. Eel grass I'm not sure of and mangroves are good but require mudd for their roots and are usually grown in a sump with large amounts of lighting.

Protein skimmers can and do work even on freshwater tanks just not as well and not nearly as good enought to warrant the cost, it has to do with the density of the water and saltwater does better with them. Put one on now and I'll give you some good advice, a cheap skimmer costs bunches in the long run. You can get a good HOB skimmer from lots of places, they should run anywhere from $100 ro $200.

Live rock would not hurt your puffers and they could indeed not eat it, only the critters that live on it which would be very beneficial to them. Turkey wing clams, worms, chitons and many more hitchikers are just waiting to be eaten by your puffers all the while they are getting a filing by the rocks. If you ever are interested in adding some cured live rock, let me know and I'll walk you through the process.

I am a lumberjack and I'm okay.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * BW tank almost SW , need help with algae eaters!!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration