Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Filter questions       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

JohnG
Username: fishrvool

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 11:48 pm:       

First question; what is needed to be done for a filter who currently filters freshwater to be switched to salt water? (the filter says it can do both on the box) I have heard to soak the filter media in boiling water to start over again...

Second; How fast will a 100 gallon filter cycle on an established 30 gallon saltwater tank?

Third; Will the gravel in a freshwater tank need to be removed and replaced whith sand or can the gravel stay in the tank?
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Heather
Username: heather

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 09:38 pm:       

What kind of filter? Shouldn't be too hard to just replace the media, old media wouldn't be good to start with anyway.

I don't know how fast bacteria will colonize on filter media in an established tank, but taking some media from an established filter and placing it into the new filter will certainly help.

Your post is confusing, are these questions related to several different tanks? Some freshwater gravel aren't suited for marine tanks and vice versa, it depends on your set up and inhabitants.

I am a lumberjack and I'm okay.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Filter questions       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration