Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Best way to lower Nitrates       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Fishkeeper
Username: frisco008

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 11:09 pm:       

I have had a salt tank for over 2 years now, it is a 44 gal corner tank. I have live sand over crushed coral and about 30+ lbs of rock with 2 fake plants in it. I am running a visijet skimmer a powerhead on an undergravel filter and also running a 350 magnum filter. I have always had high nitrates in this tank, and my fish die because of it. What is the best way to keep my tank maintained and keeping the nitrates at the barest minimum? I have 3 other tanks FW tanks and a terrium with no probs there just with the salt. Please help.....Thanks

Heather
Username: heather

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 11:12 am:       

Add more cured live rock, take the media out of your canister and use it to let sponges and whatnots grow. If your visijet isn't producing icky smelly brown skimmate, then I might upgrade it. Take account of how many fish you have and how many you can have in the tank. Weekly water changes. :-)

I am a lumberjack and I'm okay.

Fishkeeper

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 03:39 pm:       

I don't understand the sentence "take the media out of your canister and use it to let sponges and whatnots grow", also how much should I change out weekly, and lastly should I just change all the water out to the level of the sand and start again?

Thanks a bunch

Fishkeeper

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 10:58 am:       

I am going to be in the process of taking my water down to just above the sand level to keep the beneficial bacteria, so cycling won't take as long, I am also checking to see if I can fit a seaclone protein skimmer from aquarium systems on my tank and get rid of the visijet. How many fish should I be able to keep in my 44 by the way, I was wanting 2 false percs, 1 heneocus, 1 royal gramma, 1 hippo tang, 1 spotted green puffer a starfish and a coral banded shrimp, is that too much and what special requirements do each have that would be different than the others listed?

Thanks again!

Heather
Username: heather

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 09:12 pm:       

Empty the canister filter and run it empty, sort of like a mini-refugium, sponges and other beneficial things will start to grow in there.

Depending on what your current maintenance schedule is, start small and work your way to 50% changes weekly so as not to shock your tank.

I don't advise starting over unless you see no other way out.

Now, your next post---
After two years with live rock in the tank, even without fish in there, you should have a mature tank, you should not still be cycling, if you are, I'm not sure what you are doing to make that happen.

On fish - Tangs require 100 gallons or more, I don't know what a heneocus is, but the other fish would do fine just watch for banded shrimp, they like to pinch at night. Fish are very territorial and 44 gallons is not a lot of room for each fish to have their own territory so just keep that in mind when selecting fish.

Special requirments--check some books out, I wish I could give you all my titles but I have them all packed up (moving process).

I am a lumberjack and I'm okay.

Fishkeeper

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 11:22 pm:       

I still don't understand "Empty the canister filter and run it empty, sort of like a mini-refugium, sponges and other beneficial things will start to grow in there" do you mean like the canister on the protein skimmer or the magnum anyway I am getting rid of the visijet for a seaclone, I am getting the seaclone for 25, used and getting 18 for my visijet. I don't have any fish in the tank right now and I have taken it down to 1/4 with bumblebees and 2 hermits left, I don't have time or the money to do a water change every week. A heneocus (sp) is a false moorish idol. What do I do with the things in the canister when they start to grow...I figured out what you meant.

Thanks again.....
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Best way to lower Nitrates       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration