Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Protien skimmer + filter questions       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

JohnG
Username: fishrvool

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 11:36 am:       

How effective are protein skimmers from the viewpoints of regular people not trying to sell me one?

Also, my filter is a fluval 404 and I have read somewhere that it was a nitrite trap. Is this true because I have a 75 gallon tank with only two fish that are small and feed them every other day in order to get my nitrites down. I have tried a 15% water change but the levels stay the same. I wish I could do more water changes but I find the tidius and expensive to do, as I am 14 years old and can not afford 25$ in salt every week trying to maintain my tank.

Any suggestions?

Heather
Username: heather

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:48 pm:       

Protein skimmers remove wastes before they can be broken down into ammonia/nitrites/nitrates so IMO they are very effective.

Canisters and other media filters are only nitrate traps if they aren't properly maintained. If they media is changed out weekly, there should be no bacteria buildup.

Save up, buy a 5 gallon bucket of Instant Ocean, it will last for a long time, fish really will benefit with better water changes.

I am a lumberjack and I'm okay.

JohnG
Username: fishrvool

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:30 am:       

Thank you
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Protien skimmer + filter questions       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration