Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Live rock       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

JohnG
Username: fishrvool

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 05:41 pm:       

Is there a certain light that is needed for live rock growth, if so what and how long will it tank to grow?

Heather
Username: heather

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 08:50 pm:       

Live rock doesn't grow, and you don't need a special light for it, however, depending on where and what type of rock you get, there are some types of animals that come on the rock that may benefit from more light. If you are trying to grow coraline algae, the pink and purple algae found on live rock, it will grow with higher light and added calcium suppliments.

I am a lumberjack and I'm okay.

JohnG
Username: fishrvool

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:30 am:       

Thats what I meant about the growing. So there is no special type of blue light that I need? Also be calcium suppliments can you reccomend a certain kind of product that will encourage the growth of the animals?

How long will it take for animals to grow on live rock that have been sitting out of water in a crate for about 2 months?`

Sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 6904
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 11:40 am:       

hi hoots.

had not seen you in loooong time.

thought i would stop in and say "howdy". hope you are well.

Heather
Username: heather

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 01:39 pm:       

Good to see ya too Sully, been busy building my house and I needed a break. :-)

John, if you are setting up a reef tank, then yes you need "special lighting", corals require much higher lighting than normal output bulbs. Power compacts and metal halides are better suited. Blue lights (actinic lights) are supplemental lights that accompany the main lighting and are used to encourage growth and feeding but are not strictly needed in a fish only or fish only with live rock tank unless you just like the look of them.

I used B-ionic supplements when I first started out but it was costly so I switched to pickling lime and mixed it myself with reverse osmosis water and dripped it slowly into my refugium.

Hmmm, live rock that has just been sitting in a crate with no water is no longer considered "live" and I would advise using caution when starting a tank with newly decayed live rock, you will have ammonia spikes, algae and really nasty water, I advise curing the rock in a big rubbermaid container with multiple powerheads to keep the water flowing. Add some fresh live rock in case you need a little of the good bacteria to get it started again. I'm sure all of that rock has to be dry and dead after two months, but dry and dead still decays after becoming wet again.

I am a lumberjack and I'm okay.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Live rock       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration