Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Reclusive Clown       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

J P McGee
Username: jpdirect

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 03:45 am:       

Hi all,
Just have a quick question. I have a small tank bread yellow stripe maroon clown fish (he is just starting to get the yellow in his stripes) in a ten gallon tank. I chose him because of his playful nature in the LPS. He came right up to the glass and followed me as I walked by. He even swam right into the plastic container the store owner used to get him out. However since heís been in my aquarium (about two months) all he does is hide behind the filter intake tube. Heíll come out when I feed him (heíll even take food from my finger tips) but otherwise he swims looking straight up or down (vertical) behind the tube. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why heís doing this? You would not even know heís in the tank by looking from the front, heís completely hidden by the filter intake tube.

Tank info:
The other inhabitants of the tank are a green mandarin, a skunk cleaner shrimp, a turbo snail, two hermit crabs, two super tongan nassarius snails, and several pieces of live rock. The water temp is between 79 & 80 and all the levels are good.

Any suggestions?

Laura
Username: roseh

Post Number: 871
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 10:32 am:       

The levels are good doesnt say much. Specifically what are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels?

Also, I hope you're aware of the requirements of that mandarin.. I hope it is either eating prepared foods or you have something like a 100 gallon refugium for pod production...

The clown may also be getting stressed because of the tank size. A maroon will need at least a 40 gallon because they're one of the largest and most aggressive clowns, even though gold stripes are less aggressive than white stripes. For both those fish, you're going to need a bigger tank to keep them healthy, and that might be what is stressing the clown right now if there's nothing wrong with anything else.
That's not how you spell CHEESE!

J P McGee
Username: jpdirect

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 09:49 pm:       

Ha Ha.. I guess I forgot to mention Iím not a beginner. That would have probably been helpful informationÖ hahahaha..

Anyways, Iíve had this particular mandarin for about a year and a half. Iím really good at getting them to eat a mixture of frozen brine shrimp (must be high quality) and whole freeze dried Cyclop-eeze. The Cyclop-eeze really makes the colors shine.

Other info is the aquarium is about three years old. Itís got lots of live rock and is well established. Tank stats: sg 1.022; pH 8.2; dKH 9; nitrates 0.2ppm

The clown is still a juvenile (barely has a yellow tint to his stripes). He should be okay in this size tank for a while.

Iím not sure if this is just a fluke but he seems to be more active in the tank if I cover the back and sides with a towel.

The store owner told me today that the little guy was picked on in the store and that may be why heís hiding.

Iím mostly just wondering if anyone else has observed this behavior and if they were able to improve it at all.

Thanks for the response!

Laura
Username: roseh

Post Number: 872
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 02:03 am:       

Well if he's new to the tank, then he should come around soon. And yes, giving them clear boundaries like a background will make them feel safer, and will also make the tank look better in most cases ; ). While the baby maroon I had never hid, I've had other fish that were shy for the first couple weeks too. Sometimes all they need is time :-).

Good to hear about the mandarin too.
That's not how you spell CHEESE!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Reclusive Clown       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration