Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Any insight to Sting ray Behaviour?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Priscilla
Username: crakatow

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 12:23 pm:       

Hi
we recently took over a 4 feet tank with a small blue spotted stingray. We feed him raw octupus and scallops bought from the supermarket everyday or so. Depending on how hungry he looks. But he actually ate a cleaner wrasse -a new addition to the tank whole last week and today he bit the damself fish which is his tank mate for the past 6 months. He appears to be wanting to jump out of the water or propelling himself out of the tank for food or sth. But don't think he is really hungry as he has left much of the food uneaten in the tank. The tank is still being cycled. And we are doing one third water changes every 5 days since we got him 3 weeks ago. Can anybody lend an insight to sting ray behaviour? I understand he is a predator fish but his behaviour this week seem different than what it was the first week we got him. Ammonium is .5 but nitrate is still high, maybe 40. Added biostarter to break it down and have just adjusted the ph. It was not alkaline enough. Was 7.1 sth. Not quite 8.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Priscilla

Betsy
Advanced Member
Username: betsy

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 12:20 pm:       

Hi Priscilla, welcome to Badman's. We always like to see new members here!

Not too many people keep stingrays these days... Have you tried googling the scientific name of the fish, or even the common name until you can come up with the scientific name, for more information? We only have a few saltwater members, and I'm hoping to get you some "tide you over" information for the weekend in case they're not around until Monday. The fish might be responding to the changes in it's environment- it might be too big for it's current territory, so it's killing everything it sees as a threat to it's current existance. Or, it could be irritated due to water quality conditions from your cycle. Or, it could just be the natural temperment of the stingray that was supressed in it's previous environment due to poor conditions. It's hard to guess without baseline knowlege of your animal. How many gallons does your tank hold? Does it have large decorations that could decrease that size, such as live rock?

Most people find their fish adjust to the natural ph level of the water- chemical additives cause dangerous "bounces" in ph that are more harmful than an "incorrect" ph. If you feel your fish is overly sensitive and must have it's ph modified, I would look into a more permanent solution, such as crushed coral substrate or peat filters. Once again I have reached the limit of my experience, but it gives you somewhere to start your research.

I've always considered stingrays to be a wild creature- something that grows far too big for the home aquarium. If I remember correctly, stingrays are schooling creatures and range over enormous environments/territories to find food. Many also have a poisonous spine that must be trimmed regularly in a home/zoo environment. This poison can be very harmful to humans. The stingrays you see in children's petting zoos have thiers trimmed on a regular basis and are examined daily to prevent any accidents. If your local zoo has a stingray exhibit, they might consider taking the animal off your hands- this would give it a much better environment with the exact companions and conditions it needs to not only survive, but thrive. Keeping a stingray as a pet has always been equivalent to keeping a lion or tiger as a personal pet in my mind. However, I am not you- my beliefs and values are not necessarily your beliefs and values, and yours deserve to be respected. If you insist on keeping your stingray, your local zoo might also be a good resource for information on it's behaviour and care- but googling the scientific name should help in the short run. Hopefully some Saltwater members will be around to give you more definite answers to your cycling questions. In a freshwater tank, nitrate cannot be broken down chemically and must be removed through water changes. I know it's different in a salt water tank, though. Try the googling route until somebody else can look at your situation- it can at least give you more specific information on the adult size of this creature and it's exact needs/temperment.

Priscilla
Username: crakatow

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:17 pm:       

Thanks Betsy,
I have googled the species and have came up with some info but not enough info still. We are thinking of giving it to the local aquarium if they want it. And see how we go. Meanwhile, It is eating and that should be alright for a while i guess. The tank is bare with no live rock or corals, just the ray and 2 starfishes and a puffer. And 2 small fishes, i think the damself and another small species.It has gravel substrate which comes with the tank originally and I intend changing that to coral sand soon.
Depending on circumstances, We are thinking of converting this tank to a tropical setup instead. We got another 2 feet tropical tank which is flourishing with babies so they need more room. Thanks for your advice.
Regards, Priscilla
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Any insight to Sting ray Behaviour?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration