Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Stretching the limits       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kenny
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:42 pm:       

Are there any corals, anemone or other similar critters that can live long and prosper in lower salinity levels?
I'm only a Landscaper; not an English Teacher.

Laura
Username: roseh

Post Number: 895
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 08:45 pm:       

No, not really.. how low are you talking?
That's not how you spell CHEESE!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8389
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 08:30 am:       

Kenny's talking brackish levels, I believe, unless he is planning on increasing his salinity or starting a new tank.

I don't keep SW so I have no experience or expertise here, but I believe most of the SW critters are much more sensitive too much or too little salinity than the brackish creatures we both keep, so I wouldn't try it.

Kenny, maybe you should just start a marine tank?

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Laura

Post Number: 896
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 08:29 pm:       

Things like the ones mentioned die or suffer in anything less than 1.021-1.022 or so, and even that's stretching it. 1.023-1.025 is the optimal range. Brackish certainly isnt enough.

Kenny

Post Number: 411
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 08:32 pm:       

lol cindy. It will happen at some point, but not quite yet. I was reading about kettlefish! but thats annother story.

However I did find info about FW anenome and alot of stuff about mussels. Russ has me hooked on this natural aquarium thing so I am thinking of droping some Live Rock into my (Oligohaline) brackish tank to see what I get off it. I wish I had a scubba license. Id take a trip and really get to see what I am trying to figure out over the net

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8395
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 08:10 am:       

It's not difficult or time-consuming or expensive to get, nothing like a degree. I got mine in 6 weeks locally, even did my open-water dives to get it locally, in a closed lead mine - with wet-suits because it was so cold.

Most resorts have a "resort course" that only takes a couple hours and allows you to dive in water up to 30 feet or so deep, during the day only. That is all you need to see coral reef action, where most people end up anyway, with or with an open-water card.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Kenny

Post Number: 434
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 09:43 am:       

OK OK I give in! I have come down with the slatwater bug :D

I took my 10g with the artimea in it and put a penguin 330 on the back. There is nothing in the filter except the biowheels. I put a good sized sponge over the intake tube aswell. I bought two pieces of Bulk Fiji Live Rock that had been curing at my lfs for about a month.

I doubt the artemia will do well but they can always go back to living in pop bottles if they die off.

The Temperature is still only 65deg though. I can't imagine the ocean is all that warm though anyways, but if I understand corectly tmeperature effects Specific Gravity. I have my SG adjusted to 1.024 but at that low temp does that translate to a higher overall ppt?

Laura

Post Number: 904
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 12:43 pm:       

Exactly why is it that cold? I dont remember reading anywhere that temp affects the sg. I think your sg is fine, but is it the artemia that need the cold water? With fiji rock, you may get quite a die off from all of the critters that cant stand it that cold. Was this rock cured before added to the tank? If not, the artemia are probably in trouble from the die off.

Kenny

Post Number: 438
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 01:38 pm:       

There is no heater in this tank. 65 deg F the temperature I keep the main part of my house durring the winter. Is the ocean really so warm in the tropics?

My lfs has 3 big tanks, (300g) with differnt "brands" of live rock in them. $7, $14, $28 per lb. These are not the coral retail tanks but just bulk LR tanks. The sales rep said that the Fiji $7/lb came in about a month ago. So Its been sitting there for some time. He shook it underwater and alot of junk came out of it. I hope it will be ok.

There is some pretty pink and green sections on It and alot of holes and crevaces. Are starfish, corals and other stuff in there as eggs, or larva? Is that how LR comes alive?

Laura

Post Number: 906
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 08:56 pm:       

LR is alive from all of the things already hiding in it. Like pods, micro stars if you're lucky, bristle worms, featherdusters, and more. If it's been there a month, it MIGHT be cured, but still expect some die off.. The tank should be kept at 78-80* unless you're aiming for a cold water tank. Yes, it really is that warm :-).

Kenny

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 06:30 am:       

OK thanks Laura, I'll put another heater on my chrismass list. I can see already that this SW project may get moved into my 55g . . . uggg is there an mts anonymous hotline
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Stretching the limits       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration