Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Drilling tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:46 am:       

Hey my first ever post in the saltwater section.

I`m looking into drilling a hole in my glass tank to set up auto water changes. I searched reef central but I could be there all day reading the same thing in a million different postes. I`m hoping someone could point me somewhere with straight facts and no noise. I`ll probably have someone from the local reef society do it, but I need to know what to look for.
Thanks
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Heather
Username: heather

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 06:07 pm:       

First you have to make sure the glass is not tempered. The manufacturer will tell you. Depending on how big of a hole you need, you may be able to use a dremel with a diamond bit, it's a lot less expensive to do it that way, but if the hole is bigger, you'll need a drill with a really good expensive diamond bit. We had a class on drilling in my reef club. I can't remember everything but I do remember using a wood template, lots of water and lots of patience. Holes have to be drilled slowly and continuously and it takes time! If you don't mind going back to reef central and going into the club forums, look for Razorback Reef club and try asking some of the guys there, they have had a lot of experience with drilling.

I am a lumberjack and I'm okay.

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 09:14 am:       

cool, thanks.

Erin
Advanced Member
Username: emc2

Post Number: 930
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 12:10 pm:       

Brad,

You can also go to www.sv-sea.org and look for Jim (Reefguyinpa). He is a friend of mine. He drills all the tanks in the club. I will tell him to look out for you.

Are you planning this for a FW tank? Jim is going to help me set up my in-wall tank for an auto change system also.

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 12:48 pm:       

Remember when we were discussing it in chat? It reminded me of the original plan. When we built the house, I wanted to dedicate plumbing to the tank, but with everything else going on, it was so far down on the priority list that it never got done.

I have a small water heater that I got for this tank that will sit in the cupboard above it. I`d like to have a hole near the bottom that I could just open a ball valve and the water would drain. Then I could open another ball valve to the water heater to fill it back up.

I`m not sure I`ll end up doing it. I know it`s kinda foolish for a 33 gallon tank but I love to tinker with stuff so for now, I`m gonna look into it, and we`ll see where I end up.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Drilling tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration