Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * El'chepo S/W       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kenny
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 541
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 01:04 pm:       

I have made a little progress in my S/W escapade, little being the key word. I cured some Fiji live-rock in an unheated 10g last month. Water flow was provided by a old Penguin 330 hob with the cartridges and bio-wheels removed.

I recently purchased a pair of used 20g tanks. One had a glass canopy with no light. This is the tank I selected to setup as a saltwater aquarium. I placed the 20g directly in a SSW facing window. I purchased 30lb of Carib-sea Aragonite Reef Sand and buried a 200w submersible heater in it. The old 330 hob is still the only source of water flow until I can purchase a high flow internal powerhead..

The liverock did not produce a lot of critters but I was told at 67deg that would happen. It does however support some algae and a wormlike creature that lives in tiny hole and comes out mostly at night to graze around its hole. Hopefully the sunlight and 80deg temperature will bring forth more life from it. There is only about 7lb of LR at this point but more will be coming once this setup stabilizes.

Total cost so far in .CDN $

Tank/canopy/heater/filter $45 (used)
Substrate $40
Fiji live-rock $20

Updated pictures in my gallery here at Badman's http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gallery/gallery_main.html/photo-gallery/index.php?cat=10092
I'm only a Landscaper; not an English Teacher.

Kenny

Post Number: 561
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 03:52 pm:       

Just added a big chunk of Liverock and three blueleg hremits.

Hermit crabs $5
Fiji live-rock now $100

Kenny

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 10:00 pm:       

Just added a Coralife 1x65w 50/50 cf striplight. I have $285 total into this project and still no fish yet!

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:42 pm:       

I'd be careful of placing the tank in a window for two main reasons. First, when summertime comes, the tank will surely heat up beyond safe temperatures for your creatures. Second, you will get a whole lot of undesireable algae growth. Not the good coralline algae, but the nuisance stuff, like hair algae and cyano bacteria, and trust me, you DON'T want these, they're a pain in the neck to get rid of. Other than that, it sounds like the tank is coming along nicely, congrats, and good luck

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * El'chepo S/W       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration