Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Do I have to have live rock?!?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jeff Litou
Username: cichlids_galore

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 06:09 pm:       

Sorry guys if I am mixing you up when I'm switching between FW and SW, my plans are changing rapidly. So, anyway... Do I really HAVE to have live rock in my SW tank? I have been looking online, and 90 lbs. of it is $340.00! I need 100 lbs.! And If I do get it, what do I have to do to take care of it? Also, can I get some suggestions for beginner fish that are hardy and cheap? I heard damsells are a good choice.

Love your enemies-it gets on their nerves!

Jeff Litou

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 06:39 pm:       

Also, I have been looking at protein skimmers, and I know those are a neceessity, but they are EXPENSIVE for what they do! $220.00! Does ANYONE know a brand of skimmers that is cheaper?!?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8760
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:32 am:       

Jeff, isn't something in the back of your mind telling you that you aren't ready for this? Are you really even ready for the large tank you have been dreaming about for the last couple months?

Why not take care of that 10 gallon tank for a while, and make sure you are completely successful with that, and then upgrade a bit to a 29 or a 55, and get successful with that, and then see where it goes? If you can't afford the 100/110 FW tank right now, you really can't afford to make it SW...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Jeff Litou

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 06:29 pm:       

Okay, I have had that 10 gallon for about 3-4 years. And yes, I have already ordered the 100 gallon. I bought it from Tenecor with an option called Simplicity Plus, which is a fresh or salt water filter, and I only need to buy a skimmer to go saltwater. I am just trying to find the cheapest way.

Kenny
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 583
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:30 am:       

I think THIS article expalins what you want to know quite well.
I'm only a Landscaper; not an English Teacher.

Jeff Litou

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 08:51 pm:       

Oh, Thanks, thatsa more bettah....

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:57 pm:       

There are ways to cut down costs. First of all, the live rock thing all depends on your setup. In a fish only tank, live rock is certainy beneficial, however, 100 pounds of it is unnecessary. Even in a full blown reef what you can do is use 60 pounds or so of some kind of base rock, like a dry coral rock, or less expensive, lower quality "live" rock, and then use 40 or so pounds of quality live rock on top of that. That would save significant cash.

To the protein skimmer. Again, a necessity for a reef, but not completely necessary (although again beneficial) for a fish only.

Overall, you are looking at a HUGE price difference depending on whether you go with a reef-style SW tank or a fish only. A 100+ gallon reef will cost you well into the thousands of dollars in lighting, equiptment, and livestock in addition to the tank itself. A fish only would cost far less, being that you could buy normal flourescent lighting, use far less rock/substrate, not have to buy corals, and you'd also save on miscelaneous equiptment that doesn't have to be as high quality for a fish only, for example the protein skimmer.

Either way, it's expensive, but a 100+ gallon reef would cost you an arm and a leg.

Good luck,

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

Mike
Username: qualityekim

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:27 pm:       

Try a Lee's Air powered skimmer. Limewood air diffusers outta increase performance. Decent skimming quality at low price. It does require a separate air pump, and is an in tank option. Use the vertical measurement when selecting the skimmer, as the larger the skimmer, the foams interaction time will increase.

Mike
Username: qualityekim

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:31 pm:       

thatpetplace.com good prices on skimmers

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 376
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 03:05 pm:       

Hi Jeff,
I occasionally poke my head into the SW board to check things out. I am thinking about a saltwater tank in the future...Maybe about 5 years down the road. In the next five years I plan on doing a few things.

1. Researching saltwater tank keeping/maintenance. This includes looking into all the associated equipment I am going to need as well as thinking about things like water changes, salt mixes...the list goes on forever with a saltwater tank. Like you said, the live rock alone is going to cost hundreds of dollars. Now if you make a mistake thats potentially hundreds of dollar wasted, well not if you learned something out of it but....I hope you get my point.

2. I will be saving money....my saltwater tank is going to cost an arm and a leg. I cant just buy all this stuff at once. Its going to take years to collect it. And if I dont have the proper equipment, I am risking losing my investment into the livestock. The chicken comes before the egg or is it the other way around? Oh well for me the equipment, ALL of the equipment, comes before the fish/reef.

3. I am going to be setting up a little SW tank to try and raise brine shrimp. From reading Cindy's feedback about it I was a bit hesitant because I dont want t stinkbomb. But I cant help but see the benefits from the experience in doing it. Hey maybe ill tear it all down after I successfully raise a few batches. I am doing it just to learn. Oh yah and satisfy my overfeeding addiction... Anything and everything I can do to get my hands on some experience to prevent loss of livestock when I do eventually get it.

Sorry for the boring preaching here, but this is my on SW so far. I dont know much and someone may come along and say its easy and you dont need all that fancy equipment. Wont change my mind much but maybe all this can set you in the right direction.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9723

Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 04:00 pm:       

My venture into raising the BS to adulthood - the only stinky part, not hatching them - was done long before we had sponge filters or any modern conveniences. We had a choice between UGF and a corner box filter. We fed crumbled brewer's yeast, and I hated the smell. I also hated the smell of coffee or most cleaning solutions. That was also years before I had twins to diaper, so my tolerance for smell was a lot lower than it is now.

Who knows, I might not even notice the smell now...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

flyingfish

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 01:02 pm:       

Cindy, I gagged hard off it. Im only hatching BBS! Luckily I have a eclipse tank thats sealed on top. I hope it can stayed contained then Ill wear a mask when I open it.

In addition to and to sort of conclude what I had said earlier about a SW tank..........
A SW tank is something you should respect...you cant just jump into it without knowing things. Thats just my take on it. Some people like to learn as they go...which is fine. One thing I learned is that if you research first then you loose alot less livestock. Having all of the equipment is essential to keeping the water quality needed to support the livestock. Same goes for FW or any living thing you plan to keep.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 232

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 04:13 pm:       

you cant just jump into it without knowing things
Oops! Too late, I started my Mini reef.

I'll be starting my own thread on that soon.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

flyingfish

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 12:13 pm:       

Minireef would fall under #3 above
With careful planning and research BEFORE hand ofcourse

Ill be looking out for it. Remind me..PLZ.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Do I have to have live rock?!?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration