Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Here goes nothing...       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 09:50 pm:       

Good news, I got some awesome live rock today from a lady that has had her tank set up for about 7 years. It has a cute little mushroom on it, and a snail that was stuck to it. Bad news...my friend brought me the fish today before I was even close to ready. The plan was that she was going to wait until my tnak was cycled, but I guess she must have missed that detail. And since she had already taken her tank down and was on her way out of town, there wasn't much I could do. I tested my water and its not too bad, a tiny amount of ammonia/nitrite(which Im sure her's is much worse). So right now, they are floating in a plastic gladware container while I very slowly acclimate them. I think they'll be ok(or I hope so) seeing as how she has left them in a half filled 20H with no filter for 2 weeks. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens and do the best I can.

Kenny
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 595
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:13 pm:       

You got rock from a fully cycled setup! You are sooo lucky

Treat that LR just like you would a $50 fish and it will give you an instant cycle! If you are goiong to want that coraline algae and soft coral to survive you are going to need some light.
I'm only a Landscaper; not an English Teacher.

colleen

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 01:55 pm:       

My ammonia was cut in half since I put that live rock in! The perks of working at a pet store! I get to know people all the time that want to get rid of their saltwater tank. This lady had some peices that were just covered in mushrooms. Id say they had at least 30 each on them. Some of the people on nano-reef.com are suggesting that I get another 5lbs. But the lady I got the good rock from only has one more small peice. The other ones are quite large and would take up most of the space in my tank, which would mean Id have to take out some of my other peices. I might add another small peices from work even though it doesn seem to have that much on it. Im sure it still has lots of good bacteria and then the few good peices I have will help seed that. But, seeing as how it seems to be going quite well with this amount, I may leave it for a while and let it get cycled before I decide to add more. The mushroom seems to be doing much better today, it is opened up again. I think it was shocked from the change yesterday. Im working on the lighting thing. I was wanting to get a twin tube strip light, but I cant find one in a 20". Any suggestions?

Kenny

Post Number: 596
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 05:11 pm:       

I gave up on Normal output and asked Santa for a compact flourescent for christmas. This is probebly the most expensive part of the hobby though

colleen

Post Number: 304
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 07:06 pm:       

Depending on the amount of my financial aid this semester, I may try to get a compact fisture for it. Im trying to keep this tank as inexpensive as possible. So far, I have spent less than $15 since I already had equipment and substrate. All I added was live rock and a new thermometer. The fish were given to me. The live rock from work was about $8 with my discount, and the rock from that lady was $2.50/lb. Oh, and I added a snail. Very cheap so far. Even if I add the compact fluorescent, its still not going to be to horribly expensive. I'll look into those when I go to work tomorrow. How much live rock do you have Kenny?

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 08:47 pm:       

colleen,

What kind of fish did your friend give you? Ooops!, never mind. Its a Clownfish, right? What type of Clown?
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

colleen

Post Number: 306
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 09:07 pm:       

Yeah, clownfish. She gave me two true perculas. The female is about 3" and the male is about 2.5". Full grown. I was kind of worried about that at first, but I did some research and there are quite a few people who keep a pair of true perculas in a 10gal. They will be the only fish in the tank. Later, I'll probably add a small clean up crew. I've been posting on nano-reef.com to see what kinds of clean up crews people keep in small tanks and they keep a whole lot more than I want to keep. They seem to be doing reat so far. I see why they get the name clownfish. They are little clowns doing all kinds of funny things. The ones we have at work do funny things like swimming sideways occasionally and sticking their faces out of the water at feeding time. But now that I really get to watch them, they are funny little fish. Most of the time they swim in the exact same patterns. This morning when I woke up, I didnt see them...they were just sleeping behind a rock. And they always act like they are starving. As soon as they see me come close to the tank they swim to the top. They are the funniest little things!

colleen

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 09:08 pm:       

Oh, I forgot to add that one of the peices of rock that I have which didnt have coralline algae on it is now starting to. Just a very light area of it now, but its definitely growing!

Kenny

Post Number: 601
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:16 am:       

How are your little clows doing Colleen?

BTW I have just under 1lb/g of LR right now. I will add to that as I buy frags as I hope to get ones colonized on rock.

I am headed out to the store today to look for a watchman goby or maybe a jawfish and a few more snails

colleen

Post Number: 353
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 01:41 pm:       

The clowns are doing great! The tank fully cycled in a week! I added a clean up crew and its going very well. I got the 20H from my friend so Im going to transfer stuff over. I don't have much live rock at all right now, since I wasn't even planning on LR in the first place. I'll probably add more to this new tank and make it a little more elaborate. For now, I'll just have the little bit of LR from the 10g, the decoration she gave me, and all the critters. I'm going to try to get more LR from established tanks. Quality of it is much better that way! I'll just wait until more customers want to take theirs down(I think we have one now). At all the stores I have gone to, none of them have very good LR at all.

Kenny

Post Number: 604
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 06:37 pm:       

Glad to hear it is going well

My girlfrined and I went to the LFS today and she found a tiny little clownfish swiming by itself in a tank full of blue damsels. Well now he's swimming in my 20g. It's my first S/W fish and he's soooo cute. She also talked me into getting a flame scallop. That critter my prove to be challanging for a newb like me.

colleen

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 08:00 pm:       

You should look into the scarlet hermit crabs for part of a clean up crew. They are so cute and do a great job. They are even more fun to watch than the fish sometimes! What kind of clownfish did you get?

Kenny

Post Number: 606
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:19 am:       

I got a vary small ocelleris(sp)apx 1". I don't know there is any true dif between ocell and perc. But I avoided the skunks and such as I suspect they get a bit larger.

My cleanup crew is a lone blueleg hermit (they stay very very small) an emerald crab, one surviving trochus snail and three other snails possibly nerites.

colleen

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 07:36 pm:       

Ocelleris clows get about 4" while true Percula clowns get to about 3" True percs also have a little more vibrant color to them. The black lines are more distinct. I believe the pink skunk clown stays pretty small. About 4". Some of the larger ones are maroon, clarkii, and sebae. Those all get to about 6". I think I have lots of random knowledge now that I started this tank!

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 08:33 pm:       

I have a perc and an ocellaris, and honestly, they look exactly the same. The one differece is dorsal spines (ocellaris has 11, perculas 10). Kenny, I love the blue legs, they're really fun to watch. You may have to replace a snail or two every once in a while though, as they may attack them on occasion.

Congrats on the new fish to both of ya

Tanke care,

Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

colleen

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:47 pm:       

I should have put usually more vibrant color.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Here goes nothing...       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration