Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Lighting       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

colleen
Username: swirl360

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 11:15 pm:       

How am I supposed to get more lighting on this tank? Its a 10gal, so 20". I couldn't find a 20"twin tube, so I looked at the compact. The smallest it comes is 24". Could I get away with just one 15W 50/50 bulb? I'm not really planning on trying to grow any corals, but I would like to keep my coralline algae going.

Pat
Username: patm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:29 pm:       

Fear not, you actually have quite a few options. Pesonally, I like power compacts regardless of whether or not you're growing corals. They sell PC's in 15 and 20" fixtures, and can be as strong as 96 watts (not that you need anywhere near that to just grow coralline) in a 20" fixture. You can check out thatfishplace.com or petsolutions.com (two great mail order sites IMHO) and look at a few different fixtures. You could add 40 watts in a 20" fixture, and that would actually give you sufficient lighting for some mushroom corals or polyps, if you decide to do so in the future. So again, don't worry, you have options.

Good Luck,

Pat
http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8854
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:43 pm:       

Welcome back, Pat!

Have you actually been gone since before the gremlin wiped our slate clean on Halloween of 2004?! (Or did you re-register for another reason?)

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

patm

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:09 am:       

Thanks Cindy. My account was wiped out a while back, but I never re-registered because I've been soooo busy with schoolwork (I'm a marine bio major, and the courseload is intense ) But being on winter break and all, I've got lots of free time, so I re-registered here and finalized my second vivarium that now houses a pair of poison dart frogs. So hopefully I'll be around for a while and then do what I can when school starts up again.

Anyways, I just couldn't stay away, Badman's site is just way too cool to leave for good
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

colleen

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 08:56 am:       

40W in a regular fluorescent fixture? Or in the power compact? I was also thinking of getting a glass top and putting two 15W strip lights on top. Would that work?

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8858
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:14 am:       

Colleen, I didn't realize that off the shelf options for 10 gallon tanks on a budget were so hard to find. I have never needed more than 15W for a ten (with FW) so I had no idea.

I double checked and found no double or triple tube strips in 20" either, although you could use two separate single strips, if you replaced your hood with a glass canopy. No VHO that short either. The stock 20" PC's are all over $100, and you would still need a buy a glass canopy to replace your hood.

You could retrofit your hood with AHSupply for about $60-65, including shipping and one 36W bulb, but you'll have to assemble it yourself. I found other options, but way more expensive than the $100+ fixtures at BigAl's, and you'd still need that glass canopy...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

patm

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:19 pm:       

Cindy's right, PC's are expensive. I'm looking at a fixture now, in a That Pet Place catalog , thats a 20" 28 watt fixture for 40 bucks, and thats the cheapest I've seen. I'm also seeing a PC here that runs $52.99 (however there is no bulb is included)that is a 40 watt PC fixture. Other than these fixtures, I'm not sure how you could get significant wattage in a 20" fixture. And I'm not sure how wide front to back these lights are, but most likely a glass canopy would be necessary.

colleen

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 03:26 pm:       

I was looking at the 28W fixture at work, and with my discount, it would be cheaper than ordering it off the internet. I think that might be what I'll do. Its not more expensive than buying a second strip light and glass hood.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8867
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 05:52 pm:       

OT - pat, I added the highest post count I found in your old posts in the SW forum archives and changed the data in your profile to reflect your membership since January, 2003.

Heather is busy and not around as much anymore and your expertise is welcome and appreciated.

patm

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 07:10 pm:       

Thanks a bunch Cindy, I greatly appreciate that ;)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Lighting       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration