Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * What to do?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jeff Lefkowitz
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 09:35 pm:       

My kids daycare had a tank a few months ago (a 90) that they were looking to sell for cheap. Today I asked how much they got for it (to estimate a purchase for me) and the owner advised me that his mother will be looking to get rid of a 60g saltwater setup in May!

So...what are the questions I should ask about this set up, and what answers should I hope for? I don't know yet what they are doing with the fish (I don't think its a reef tank, but it might have live rock and inverts), but is there any reason I wouldn't want them?

Thanks!

I'm experienced in small FW tanks (10,12, 29), and while I like the color of SW, I prefer a tank with lots of color and motion so I would prefer more smaller fish than fewer larger fish.
"Peter, the fish did not bite you through the glass"
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 11:07 pm:       

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you getting the just the tank and equiptment, or are you getting livestock and all?

Obviously, you'd like to find out what equiptment they're including, how old, what brand, so you can get an idea of what you are going to need to replace in the near future if not right away. I'd say the big things would be to see if it comes with a good lighting fixture (definately a plus if you decide to create a reef in the future) and also see if you can get the live rock and substrate along with at least some of the water to eliminate or at least cut down on cycling time. And I'd definately check it out previous to buying it, because you don't want a setup overrun with bubble and hair algae, or something along those lines, as it is a painstaking task cleaning it out, and possibly better to just start from scratch.

If you are getting livestock, it's probably a good idea to check and see if everything is in good shape. I'm with you on the small colorful fish, I love that type of setup. So if the tank ends up coming with lionfish and groupers, you may want to find someone to take those off your hands .

Other than that, I'd say just make sure you know what you're getting, so you can plan ahead and get any equiptment that you need or find a place where you can get fish and a cleanup crew if necessary.

Good Luck,

Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * What to do?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration