Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * BB or DSB?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Ben
Username: bennyb73

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 12:08 am:       

So what's your guys's take? Bare bottom or deep sand bottom and why?
Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:29 pm:       

I always prefered a DSB. First is simply the aesthetic appeal, especially in a reef setup. I've personally never used a bare bottom in a full setup, but I can't imagine that is looks very good.
More importantly, a DSB houses a vast array of creatures that help regulate a stable tank. There are creatures like bristle worms, copepods, and other things that break down waste and organic matter. Many of them get there by themselves through live rock and some, like narcissus(sp?) snails and starfish, you can add to stir up the sandbed and further break down organic matter.
The upside of a BB tank is obviously easier maintnance, as it's simple to see when your tank bottom needs a good siphoning, but it just seems to me you lose a lot of valuable surface area for bacteria and cleanup critters. Then there are little things that a DSB aids, like anchoring rocks, housing food items (copepods, amphipods, etc) for fish like mandarin gobies, and allowing anchoring places for various corals.

Well, that's my 2 cents

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * BB or DSB?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration