Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Water movement       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

JohnG
Username: fishrvool

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 10:02 am:       

I have not been here in a while and was starting to wounder why I ever stopped, anyway...

I now have had my 75 gallon set up for a while and finnally have everything good. My levels are down, my 150lbs of LR has been in my tank for 2 weeks and I got a new lighting system to now have 300 watts on my tank. I was wondering if I go reef how many powerheads should I get. I have pretty good water flow right now becuase of my Fluval 404 out take is pretty strong. Also, if I were to go reef is 4 watts a gallon enough or does anyone recomend more?

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 01:54 pm:       

With water movement, you want to make sure you don't have dead spots where debris settles and algae begins to cultivate. Also, it depends on what you plan to stock in the tank. A tank full of SPS corals would need the entire volume of the tank overturned many times per hour (which would mean LOTS of powerheads) while a tanks with poor swimming fishes (like seahorses) would need minimal movement. It sounds like you're going with at least a semi-reef, and I'm assuming no seahorses or anything along those lines, so you'd probably want a middle ground. While the fluval probably turns over the tank two or three times per hour, I don't think it offers movement to the entire tank (I could be wrong, as I've never used a cannister filter). Most likely you'd need at least a couple strategically placed powerheads, especially in a good sized tank like yours, to eliminate those dead spots.

As for the lighting, it again depends on what you'd like to keep. What kind of lights are you using? 4 watts/gallon would allow for lower light corals like mushroom corals and all sorts of polyps, and in the uppermost parts maybe some corals such as frogspawn, hammer corals, certain leathers, etc. If it's a standard 75, I think it's a little over 20" deep, which is relatively deep, meaning strong lighting would be necessary to penetrate the water to offer enough lighting to things towards the bottom. As I said, there are a variety of corals you may be able to keep at this point, but things like anemones, most hard corals, and some of the soft corals would be out of the questions. In order to keep anemones, mand LPS, and any SPS corals you'd need more wattage, most likely from a double metal halide fixture. Also, I'd make sure I was at least supplementing with some kind of actinic lighting.

Good Luck,

Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

JohnG

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 06:55 pm:       

Thank you for that response Pat.

I have a Lunar aqualight.
It is a power compact and has lunar blue-moon glow LED fixture on the back.
It has 2 65 watt true actinic blue and 2 65 watt 10,000k daylight lamp (I believe not sure correct # on the daylight

Then I have another 10,000k coralife (40watts) That had phosphorus in the lite or something I do not remeber.

There is water in my tank only 18" most the time.

I just got back my two fish that I had in my tank before I put in the LR. The LR was sitting in a tank at the store for about 2 months so it needed no curing but I didn't want to take a chance.

And yes I would love a semi reef tank. I dont wan't to go crazy. Given these circumstances what do you feel I could put in the tank to make it even more colorfull?

Right now I have a hippo tang the a little bit bigger than a 50 cent peice and a yellow foxfaced rabbit fish full grown (about 4 inches)
I know that these guys are known to pick and nibble at them.

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 10:32 pm:       

With the 4 watts/gallon you are right on that edge where certain corals may be able to be kept, but may slowly die off. There is no doubt you could keep mushrooms and all sorts of polyps, which can be obtained in almost any color, from bright reds, purples, and blues to multicolored and patterned specimines with spots or stripes. Most leathers should do well too. I believe you would also be able to keep some good looking corals like frogspawn, colt, and possibly hammer corals if you position them towards the top of the tank. Corals that would be completely out of the question would be any SPS corals, but those tend to be difficult to keep, and tanks are usually configured specifically for them alone anyways.

Again, you're right at that point which may require you to experiment a little bit. With that said, I believe you should definately be able to keep mushrooms, polyps, and leathers and you should stay away from any SPS corals and any anemones. You could easily fill a tank with those three and have an entire rainbow of color, not to mention that if they thrive they will spread and you'll have new mushrooms/polyps to trade or sell away. And also, polyps and mushrooms tend to be on the cheaper side (not that corals are ever really CHEAP unfortunately) of the different corals readily available.

Hope that helped at least a little... and make sure you don't get stung by that foxface, or you'll be sorry

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

JohnG

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 10:46 pm:       

Thanks Pat for your help
And about that Foxface- you should have told that to the lionfish he killed. Ironically I would have thought the lion would have killed the foxface but all in all, never leave two poisonous fish alone on vacation with limited food.-- I learned my lesson.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Water movement       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration