Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Brine shrimp       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

JohnG
Username: fishrvool

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 01:44 pm:       

Would it be better if I were just to feed them frozen or alive.

If they were alive I could probably pore about a good amount in the tank and have the fish find them and eat them when they are hungry.

Would I be able to do this or should I just raise them in a seperate container and add them only when feeding time?

Kenny
Username: kennyman

Post Number: 615
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 02:27 pm:       

I think if you drop in eggs they get caught in the filtration system or choped up by the impeller shear of powerheads. I also wonder about the cysts poluting the tank.

What about those in-tank breeding factories, perhaps they may work. I'd like to try something like this aswell.
I'm only a Landscaper; not an English Teacher.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8996
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 04:34 pm:       

Hatching BBs is really easy, and way cheaper than buying frozen. but raising them to adult size is more trouble and costs more than buying live or frozen adults.

I buy them live at my LFS, by the tsp., nd keep them in the 'fridge for a couple days. I only feed what they will eat at each meal. They have to be kept in SW in the 'fridge. If you put enough to last several days in your tank for feeding at will, the FW will kill them. Probably even brackish will, I believe most of them are from SW that is higher in salinity than normal.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

JohnG

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 08:09 pm:       

"If you put enough to last several days in your tank for feeding at will, the FW will kill them."

Thank you for your post but I am not sure if I interpreted this the right way;they would be placed in a SW tank with a fairly high salinity level.
What I really mean was that; can I keep a population of them alive in a tank so that they can reproduce on thier own and can be readily hunted by the fish in the tank?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9004
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 08:29 pm:       

If you are talking about keeping them in your SW tank, with the fish that will eat them, they should survive until eaten, but will likely either be eaten or sucked up the filter long before reproducing. If you want a self sufficient colony, you will do better to raise them in a separate tank, with a sponge or very gentle filter, and learn to live with the smell.

I couldn't hack it when I tried, and even moved the tank outside for a while, then realized I must be some kind of crazy, since it wasn't any cheaper, or more convenient, or more anything.

Your results may vary...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 08:37 pm:       

I don't think you could sustain a population of brine shrimp in your aquarium. Any fish will wipe them out quickly, and I don't know if the conditions would be right for a population of brine shrimp to thrive and reproduce anyways.

As a side note... adult live brine shrimp are not a great primary food source for fish. Unless you are feeding the shrimp with some kind of algae, they lack any nutritional value. When I was culturing BS for my seahorses, I would leave a 5 gallon on my porch in the sunlight to grow algae, and the brine shrimp would feed on the algae and reproduce so I had a constant supply. I believe packaged, frozen BS are fortified with certain vitamins and other good stuff, therefore making them the better choice to use for regular feedings. What kind of fish are you feeding?

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

JohnG

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 08:43 pm:       

The brine shrimp would not be a primary source of their food. They have the flakes, algea in the tank and omnivore cubes, (the name of the brand)

I am feeding a Foxface Rabbitfish and Blue hippo tang.
The reason why I am asking is becuase I do not want them to nibble and pick at the new corals, mushrooms and polyps that I am going to add to my tank in a few days. So I thought instead they would go for the brine shrimp instead of grazing upon the rocks.

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 12:15 am:       

If you are looking to seed your rock, it would be more beneficial to seed with copepods, as these have the ability to hide and reproduce within a tank. However, even these, if sought out by your fish, would be wiped out quickly unless you established a good population of them prior to introducing the fish.

I feel, regardless of how well fed your fish are, some fish are just prone to nipping at corals. To what extent depends on the fish. Now, I'm not experienced in keeping tangs or rabbitfish, but off the top of my head, I thought they were suitable reef fishes. I'd have to look this up to confirm it, but I thought both were relatively safe.

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

Mike
Username: qualityekim

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:02 pm:       

brine shrimp can easily live within a saltwater tank. Provided with a high steady salinity and ph, as well as algae growth to feed on, they should thrive. The rabbitfish and tang will likely be disinterested until the shrimp are large however.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Brine shrimp       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration