Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Cycling a SW tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 11:13 am:       

can I use a already cycled FW filter for a new SW tank, so I don't have to cycle the SW tank?
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

patm
Username: patm

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 05:13 pm:       

I believe the freshwater and saltwater bacteria needed to help cycle a tank are different, so a freshwater filter would be no good. Your best bet for an accelerated cycle would be some live rock or sand from an established saltwater tank.

-Pat
My tanks and vivariums---> http://community.webshots.com/user/patm7

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 669
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 07:40 pm:       

Thanks Pat, after doing some reading, I did indead find out that the bacteria is different, amoung the many other tid bits I had no clue about.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Cycling a SW tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration