Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Using sand right from the ocean       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Megan
Username: jacksonsmom25

Post Number: 673
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:23 pm:       

Can I use real sand from a beach? I live on the coast of maine and can very easily get as much as I need.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Laura
Username: roseh

Post Number: 914
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 08:36 pm:       

Well, maybe you could, but I dont think it is a good idea.

1. Isnt the water cold there? Unless the tank you plan on keeping is coldwater, most if not all of the organisms you introduce are going to die and create a large ammonia spike.

2. Considering the beach is where all of the dirty foam washes on shore, it may not be the cleanest of sand.
That's not how you spell CHEESE!

Megan

Post Number: 674
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:09 pm:       

so what if I boil it and bake it and clean it out really well?
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 570
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 11:00 pm:       

Id rinse it out with hot water maybe 5lbs at a time in a 5gal bucket.
Waiting will fill

Megan

Post Number: 675
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 08:56 am:       

I was thinking of mixing it with some crushed coral. Can you do that? have half and half of sand and crushed coral?

Laura
Username: roseh

Post Number: 915
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:29 am:       

Once you rinse it and all there wont be much advantage to it versus the sand you can buy, and then you dont have to worry about contaminants. Sand really isnt that expensive...

About mixing with CC, I dont think it would be a great idea unless the sand is a large grain. You're going to have to vacume the CC brutally every week, and you'll end up vacuming all of the sand unless it's a large grain.
That's not how you spell CHEESE!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Saltwater Questions * Using sand right from the ocean       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration